Rusted out Muffler.

My 1983 Dodge van.It is an RV van, I am the second owner of the van.I bought it last September.It has long aluminum running boards.I finally got my big belly down low enough to take a good look at the muffler, it is rusted out.Where the exhaust pipe runs through the muffler, front of the muffler, one half of that part of the muffler is completely missing and the bottom rear of the muffler is very rusty too.Actually though, it looks to me like there is another muffler too, but I think that one is ok, of course there is a catalytic converter too.(I still want to gut out the catalytic converter) Which chain brand names muffler shops are the best for me to take my van to for a new muffler? There is a Midas muffler shop a few miles from me, I have read bad things about Midas though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Around here I haven't seen any independent muffler shops. Might be, but I haven't seen them. I've had enough cars done by one Meineke that I know the manager/owner's name. Used to, forgot now as it's been some years since i needed work. They did screw up a brake job I let them do - I was busy then, usually do it myself. But the exhaust work has been fine, and well-priced. Keep in mind every shop has different management. My son took his car to a Meineke near him and their estimate was twice what he paid when I told him to go to the Meineke I use. I doubt they will "gut the cat." EPA. '83 Dodge van is pretty old. Might be best to replace the entire system. I've had that done for @300 bucks. But some vehicles have expensive cats and there's no way around it.

WTF. Are you a girl? Sure don't sound like one. You have to let anybody know who's the boss at the outset. Simple as saying "I want a price to fix this." Then listen to what you're told. Then you take it or leave it. If take, say "Do it." If leave, say "Not today." This shit ain't rocket science. Sounds like you have a bad attitude and talk too much. Maybe a Dale Carnegie course would fix you up.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I'd be tempted to do it myself, and use a universal stainless turbo muffler from Jeg's or Summit etc. that way it won't rust out again.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds like you are clairvoyant and/or a licensed therapist.

I took one! Email me, and I'll send you a pass so you can get to the front of the line to SMD.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated

Me a girl? I aint's no girl.I think I will check with Pete Robertson's Auto Repair Shop on Jr Lynch Road and ask if they do mufflers.(Actually, Pete passed away a number of years ago, his son Mike owns the shop now.Pete was in Vietnam, he built that shop himself.I always go there when there is something I can't figure out) I don't feel much like fighting that kind of work meself.I like the idea of a stainless steel muffler.I will check that out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Couldn't figure out SMD. Acronyms are no good any more. Looks like they've all been taken. We need a bigger alphabet. Did you *really* take a DC course?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hint: S = suck

Practice Quiz: SMBD = ??? fita = (hints are in my first post, also in my handle) J'gYO =

The rapper's version, yo.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated

The girl comment was directed at me. And just so's there's no confusion, the SMD comment was directed at Vic.... :)

Altho I stand by my rant, Vic brought up good points -- there are always exceptions.

But, these chains are well-trained to lure you in. For example, your car is on the lift (temporarily ransomed), and you stand your ground, rejecting their "first" price.. Typically the manager will come out, tell you, Oh, well, if you do it now, we can do this for that, that for this, blah blah.

So right away, you've done better for yourself.... but, how much better? How do you know what the true bottom line is?? You don't, until you've been around the block a few times, which is its own pita.

The bottom line is, price shopping is a chore AND a battle, and you have to have the stomach for it. Oh, and, it's time consuming.

Also, considering the age of your car, just how much do you want to spend, esp. wrt to the stainless price, which *everyone* bangs you for, hard.

I also agree with the advice to replace the entire system, esp. if you think you'll have the car for a while. Also, that removes any waffling ito accountability.

You might have them put in the old cats, in a straight section of the piping, via hose clamps or the equiv, so that you can later deal with them as you want.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated

The Catalytic converter on my 1983 Dodge van, the front end of the pipe has a bend/angle on it, I am guessing about a 40/45 degree angle/bend.I think I will see if the bend of the pipe can be cut off and put back on in a straight line.That is a good idea of yours, Thanks. Then, later on, I can buy a piece of tail pipe and get that dang catalytic converter off of there myself. Pete Robertson's shop is closed on weekends, so I will have to wait untill Monday. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I would never recommend Midas. Their economizer is a piece of junk that only last for a year. You might as well make one out of tin foil.

Reply to
Bob Jones