Rustproofing Lubricant Recommendation

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so bear with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the various cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as inside the crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian Tire said to use Rust Check, I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff but I haven't used any yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin - like WD40 - and somebody told me that neither of these are good enough for this purpose. So what is? Can you recommend something that will last between rustproofing intervals (say, every two years) and is available here in Canada? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chris F.

I've heard that Krown is good, but it is not available down here in the states. I'm partial to the waxy, parrafin stuff that German cars use.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If Rust Check is what I think it is, it's not a lubricant at all but a material that chemically binds to the metal surface and reduces rust.

In more southern climes we get Locktite Extend, which is the same thing. It works, very well.

After using it and letting it dry, put a coat of undercoating on top of it. Be careful with the undercoating... if you put it on an existing rusty surface without stabilizing it, the rust will just keep growing underneath the coat.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"Chris F." wrote in news:49a9cee5$0$5481$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

Excellent suggestion.

Yes it is. But Krown is better, IME.

The spray can is meant for touch-ups, and for doing areas the Rust Check or Krown dealer can't reach (such as your locks).

There is also a substance called "Coat and Protect" (green can) that's a lot thicker than the regular Krown T40, etc. You use Coat and Protect for inside the cowl anmd other areas that are subject to lots of water flow.

You need to pay the $110 or so to have Rust Check or Krown do a full rustproofing on your car every /year/, whether spring or fall. Every two years isn't sufficient.

However, if you plan on getting rid of your car in less than six years, there's no point in any rustproofing at all. The automaker's factory treatments will last that long before the rust becomes visible. Rust will be there all along, just won't be readily seen until a few years have passed.

Rust Check and Krown are both /amazingly/ effective and I /highly/ recommend them. I prefer Krown to Rust Check, actually.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:goct8f$i7m$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Rust Check is an extremely thin "polarized oil". It works by relentlessly spreading itself, forever. It creeps under water films and lifts them off the steel.

It only works so long as it remains sufficiently thick enough to actually "creep". Over time, it thins out so far that it no longer covers completely, so you need to replenish the coating with a new application each year.

It is also easily washed away on exposed surfaces, you it can't protect against stone chips and the like. The stuff is meant for inside doors, hoods, trunk lids, rocker panels, frame rails, above gas tanks, behind plastic splash panels, that sort of thing.

/Nothing/ sticks to Rust Check or Krown. RC and Krown remain oily and "wet" forever.

RC and Krown actually significantly slow down even existing rust on account of how they work. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Reply to
Tegger

I'm doing it myself actually, this is the '88 Civic I've wrote about in previous posts, the one that I'm trying to restore. This thing only had the rustproofing done once in it's nearly 20 years on the road and never had the undercoat redone - no wonder it rusted to heck. Now that it's under my care, it will have such maintenance done regularly and since I'm doing it myself I can be sure it's done properly.

I intend to keep this going for as long as possible, regardless of how much time and money that might require. If it reaches a point where it just isn't feasible to keep in running, I'll still keep it as a showpiece if nothing else.

Reply to
Chris F.