S10/Sonoma 2.2 to 4.3 swap

I just threw a rod in my '97 Sonoma 2.2L 5 speed. I'm looking at my repair options and have a few questions. Looking on Ebay I came across a

4.3 engine/tranny combo 50k miles on it for $800 with accessories, driveshaft, computer and wiring from a '97 S10. I imagine I might have to pick up a radiator and new motor mounts. The ad mentioned it was a great swap for the underpowered 4 cyl engine. When I mentioned the possibility of the swap to both my local mechanics they both said I'd never get it running right and they wouldn't do the install. The truck was sold with the 4.3 as one of the optional engines so I'm not understanding why they feel it would be impossible to get running right.

Second question. If this swap IS possible, there appears to be many more auto trannys than 5 speed engine/trans combos available. Is it possible to swap a manual for the auto tranns?

Cost is a HUGE factor for me. The quotes I've gotten for a used 2.2 is

1100 for the engine alone and 700-1000 labor to swap it out. Seems to me I could get the 6cyl swap for that money and have a better suited engine in the process.

Thanks

Reply to
RAM

First, please realize I've only limited experience in this particular swap. But, I'd think that with proper mounts(eng/tranny-seller might throw them in) and proper radiator AND AT fluid lines(again, seller may have these), it should be a simple bolt-in. Some extra work may be in exhaust system, tranny-shifter(floor conversion should work fine), should find proper-fitting driveshaft in salvage yard(or, you guessed it, the eng.-seller). So far as the computer, that should be a simple unbolt-re-bolt. Fuel linkage might need special attention. Be sure and get all sendors--oil, temp., volt, etc. from the donor engine. Check spec'ns. & verify the same on the in-fuel-tank fuel pump: should be same psi /vol. output, else remove tank & swap proper pump--simple unbolt & rebolt. I have an older '86 S-10 Blazer with a late-model Z-28 TPI 5.7 liter--my computer was more involved as well as cooling. But it fits, looks, performs, and overall made a great swap. Much more difficult than what you are looking at. I'd think a long time before I spent the kind of $ you quoted on replacing with another 2.2 liter. PS: My swap gets 22-24 mpg on hwy driving--less in city driving. HTH & good luck, sdlomi PSS: Do a Google search--many articles on these popular swaps.

Reply to
sdlomi2

Ask your question here:

I've heard a 3.4 mid-nineties camero engine is the most bang for your buck, straight bolt in with a lot of power, easy to find, not much money, but not sure about 2.2L 2nd gen, I have a 1st gen 2.8 and I know that is the best swap for me.

Lee

Reply to
lyle

First thing you need to do is look at a 4.3 truck and compare it to yours. Stuff in the V-6 are NOT in the same place as the 4 banger. Look closely. buy a factory shop manual and study it.

I'm sure you can get it bolted in. Its the electronics that will get you. The guy who said just swap the computer is on drugs. The WHOLE under hood wire harness is different on the V6. This is an injected OBD2 engine. If you don't have every lick of wire from a donor and a LOT of time and cussing, i would forget it. This is NOT like swapping a carburated engine with fewer electrical hook ups. This is why the mechanics are giving you a thumbs down.

It would be cheaper just to sell your truck and BUY a V6 truck.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
BOB URZ

Reply to
sdlomi2

What kind of cost is involved in the Z28 v8 to the 97 S10 originally a 2.2 and can I bolt my 5 speed manual tranny to it? I just lost a timing chain it's an extended can truck and what about the rearend?

Reply to
tenncastmetal