Safe way to prevent car starting?

I have a '90 nissan pickup. I want to debug a sluggish starter. I'd rather not have to drag the DSO out into the garage to measure the current and voltage drops. If I could prevent the car starting for a second or two, I could easily use a clamp-on meter.

In the old days, I'd just disconnect the points... or put volts to the starter relay. I'm afraid of doing something that will cause some component to fail or put the ECU into some mode it takes the dealer to get out of.

Are there any simple/safe options?

Reply to
mike

Can you unplug the spark plug wires? What ever you do may set a code but you can always reset it.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

mike wrote in news:ke745h$o6i$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Remove the ignition fuse, or disconnect the connectors to the distributor (or to the coil, if separate from the distributor).

Do NOT simply disconnect the plug wires or remove the distributor cap. Either one risks damaging the coil if you crank the engine with those removed.

Reply to
Tegger

Pull either the fuel pump fuse or relay. If you get a light that doesn't turn off after a few miles, an auto parts store will reset it for you free of charge.

Reply to
Gene

It still might start if there is pressure, caution. Pull while running.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Dependent upon the residual pressure in the system, it could well start, but would quickly stop at which point testing could be initiated.

Reply to
Gene

Paul in Houston TX wrote in news:ke76up$3ns$1@dont- email.me:

Do NOT intenctionally open circuit the plug wires. that can cause damage. just disconect the coil connectors. KB or on a single coil unit you could ground the coil hi volt wire, grounding will not hurt anything.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

If it's EFI just pull the injector power feed.

Reply to
Steve W.