Saturn Aura radiator fan continues to run

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it starte d doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 6

0% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine an d remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minute s. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the tempe rature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these t imes the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckil y, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut of f a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions a s to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off a nd the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!
Reply to
Shawn

run even after turning the car off and the key removed?

By design, you just didn't notice it until a week ago... and perhaps you're low on coolant... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

There is a temperature sensor; if the block temperature is above a certain point, the fan will run. This is a GOOD thing.

If it didn't do it before and it's doing it now, perhaps the temperature is higher than it used to be?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

o run even after turning the car off and the key removed?

Low coolant as a cause, I'll buy that. However, not noticing it all this t ime. . . Well, that's just insulting, and it's not appreciated.

Reply to
Shawn

That is normal. There is a sensor that turns on the fan based on temperature. However if it JUST started doing this then you may want to check a few things. Check the coolant level and condition. Low coolant can cause it to run hotter, and it can cause engine damage if allowed to get worse. Check the radiator for blockage or dirt/bugs. That can cause it to run warmer.

If those are OK then you will need to look farther. With the engine cold, pull the radiator cap off. Then start the engine and watch for bubbles. If you see bubbles you could have a head gasket problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

run even after turning the car off and the key removed?

time. . . Well, that's just insulting, and it's not appreciated.

Here is a couple more insulting guesses.

Maybe the fan is louder than it used to be. Maybe ambient temp is higher than it used to be.

Reply to
jim

even after turning the car off and the key removed?

time. . . Well, that's just insulting, and it's not appreciated.

Eh, it's just that guy.

But seriously, it *is* normal for many vehicles for the fan to be powered through a thermoswitch/relay and not be cut off by the ignition switch being in the "off" position. This is intentional to minimize any effects of "heat soak" where the temp. of the engine tends to rise after it is shut off.

Unless you are experiencing higher than normal ambient temperatures in your area, and/or you are driving in conditions that would tend to heat up the engine more (e.g. very high speed/high load driving and/or lots of prolonged stop and go traffic) I would have your cooling system checked, if the fan seems to be "after-running" more than you remember.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

run even after turning the car off and the key removed?

time. . . Well, that's just insulting, and it's not appreciated.

I appreciate the advice!

Reply to
Shawn

Thanks for the insight.