Saturn, Oxygen Sensor type

I trekked down to Pep Boys today and got a Bosch oxygen sensor for my 1994 SL2 (the one that goes in the exhaust manifold).

But it appears to be the wrong one...

The part number I got is Bosch 13043, single wire unheated. The part I removed from my car has a single wire as well, but the connector is slightly different, so the one I bought won't fit.

Not trusting retailers website, I went to bosch.com and after some searching, it lists the Bosch 13050 for my car, which has a description of "four wire, heated, use in California" (which is where I live...)

What gives? I'm tempted to return the Bosch part to Pep Boys and head to the Saturn dealer and get the OEM part (at 3X the price... ugh...)

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

||I trekked down to Pep Boys today and got a Bosch oxygen sensor for ||my 1994 SL2 (the one that goes in the exhaust manifold). || ||But it appears to be the wrong one... || ||The part number I got is Bosch 13043, single wire unheated. The part ||I removed from my car has a single wire as well, but the connector ||is slightly different, so the one I bought won't fit. || ||Not trusting retailers website, I went to bosch.com and after some ||searching, it lists the Bosch 13050 for my car, which has a ||description of "four wire, heated, use in California" (which is where ||I live...) || ||What gives? I'm tempted to return the Bosch part to Pep Boys and head ||to the Saturn dealer and get the OEM part (at 3X the price... ugh...)

No need to go to the dealer. You have two choices:

1 - Go back to PB and and request the correct part. 2 - Use the part you got, cut the connector off your old one, and use a crimp-on butt connector to attach it to the new one.

As for the California listing, sounds like your car may not have been originally sold in CA, so it has the 49-states Federal emissions package. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I can do that, I guess the sensor itself is the same.

What is the difference between the heated and unheated ones?

I bought it in California, actually, brand new from the Santa Maria dealer, but maybe it had Federal emissions?

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

||> 2 - Use the part you got, cut the connector off your old one, and use a crimp-on ||> butt connector to attach it to the new one. || ||I can do that, I guess the sensor itself is the same.

Sure, it's the same. A lot of people buy universal sensors to save the expense of the specific-application sensors. Big $ difference.

||What is the difference between the heated and unheated ones?

Um... heat? It has two additional wires to supply 12V to a preheater coil to help get the sensor into closed-loop mode sooner.

||> As for the California listing, sounds like your car may not have been originally ||> sold in CA, so it has the 49-states Federal emissions package. || ||I bought it in California, actually, brand new from the Santa Maria ||dealer, but maybe it had Federal emissions?

At some point CA and Federal emissions became the same. Sounds like the catalog was in error at AZ. We find catalog errors literally every day. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

3x in this case! I just finished splicing the old connector on the new sensor (I soldered the cables together, and used a bit of heat shrink tubing over the joint). Seems to work fine. We'll see how the emissions test goes tomorrow!

OK.

Ah. OK, thanks!

-jav

Reply to