SATURN SL2 crazy Brake applied engine turns off, more info too

I have spent days trying to fix this car. If I apply brake pedal the engine cuts off. If I remove the brake fuse the engine does not stall with the brake pedal applied.

I changed the alternator last night and no better.

The left tail light I disconnected the whole assembly. When I do this the cars RPM start to go down and the engine shuts off. If I plug in the harness I can start the car again. One other crazy thing, when I disconnect the rear tail light harness the ABS will light up n the dash.

What else can I do to pinpoint the problem? Thanks

Reply to
dave

Check battery and connections. Check all grounds. Check fuses. Take it to someone who understands how to troubleshoot electrical problems.

Reply to
Woody

It is too easy to take it to a shop. I like to figure out problems and always accept advice, A shop is a great idea. But it is my last resort. I pay more for auto insurance than the 3 beautiful cars I have. Saturn 2 yrs ago 100 k miles 650 dollars have driven it all over Geo metro 150 k miles 675 dollars have had for 4 wonderful yrs now Needed exh manifold MIDAS qute for all exhaust 1200 dollars Manifolt and complete exh less than 300 dollars

BMW 325 IS 155 K miles runs great, Free. Rear wheel drive not so good in ice and snow will keep another 15 years not a spec of rust.

Reply to
dave

Clean all grounds: engine, lights, alt, battery, etc.

Reply to
Paul

Then spend the money for the real shop manual, get out the electrical diagram, and see how the relevant circuit could be connected to the transmission control or the engine control. Or if there is a shared ground.

Without the schematic you are wasting your time swapping things at random. Get the schematic.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Agreed, it's a bad ground somewhere -- impossible to troubleshoot without a shop manual.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Howe