SBC manual/auto cranks?

My 1990 1/2 ton made a new noise today, sounded like valvetrain problems... then it went away. But that's somewhat irrelevant for right now - but it got me thinking if I had to replace the motor in it - it's a stickshift. If I was to borrow the smallblock from my race car (GM crate engine) will it bolt up to the trans? Is there such a thing as a manual trans crank? Some googling showed that for some engines you need to drill the crank to install the pilot bushing - am I likely going to need to do this on my truck?

And if anyone can tell me what's so special about my truck motor? GM's base crate engine is rated at 260HP and yet can't be used in a vehicle with a GVWR over 7000lbs. My truck motor was only rated at 200hp and apart from center bolt valve covers (and one piece rear seal etc...) it's basically the same old small block. Do the truck motors have anything but cast pistons and a cast crank?

Ray

Reply to
ray

Can't answer your question knowledgeably, Ray, but I'd bet 3 things: first, the truck motors (barring hi-po) would have only cast pistons and crank as you suggested; second, GM would make the base-engine cranks universal if for no reason other than to reduce *their* inventory and yet supply the gamut. My 3rd guess is that the 7000lbs max GVWR may be due more to camshaft design and torque ranges than to HP. Again note I cannot document: these are just speculations and based on a likely GM goal to control cost, esp. with the first 2 guesses. s

Reply to
sdlomi2