Scientist hack into cars computer, control brakes, engine remotely

That is one of the reasons I prefer my old clunkers. Modern technology, Humph! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

Not exactly a new or original thing. They've had completely autonomous vehicles for a while. I remember watching the first race where they finished a course.

However, the *best* example was the one where Jeremy Clarkson did it with a specially modified M3. He had to drive their track with the car manually so it oculd learn the course. He then pushed a button and the vehicle learned the most optimal braking points and so on. It then took off and gave Jeremy a wild ride. At the end it just continued because (apparently - for the "show" if nothing else) no one told Jeremy how to stop it. On a full tank of gas!

Reply to
chuckcar

In message , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net writes

Reply to
Clive

I find it hilarious.

I mean, someone plugs into a connector that is designed to allow a remote device to control things, and they are able to control things. That's not hacking, that's what diagnostic ports are FOR. And they aren't just on cars either....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey