Scratch repair

I parked my car at Newark Airport's parking lot, and when I got back, there was an 18 inch scratch across the front bumper of my 2 month old

2006 Honda Accord. The scratch goes right down to the metal, it's not just a clearcoat scratch.

I'd like to try and repair it myself, and read online repair suggestions and techniques, talked to guys at the local Autozone and bought some repair stuff, and started on my repair.

It doesn't look all that good at this point, although I'm not finished yet, and maybe if I'm doing something wrong, I can get a helpful hint here.

  1. 400 grit sandpaper to sand around the scratch, loosen any paint and feathered out the edges. All wet sanding.

  1. Applied some bondo glazing and spot putty. After drying, more 400 grit wet sanding.

  2. Applied 2 coats of primer. More wet sanding.

  1. Applied 2 coats of the correct Honda Touch-up paint that Honda ordered for me. More wet sanding.

At this point it didn't look good at all.

  1. I applied a clear topcoat, let it dry for 24 hours, and then used a
2000 grit sandpaper, did a wet sanding.

Obviously the area around the repair is dulled.

Should I have put the clear topcoat on the surrounding sandpapered area as well?

Would sanding the topcoat with a 2000 grit sandpaper ruin the fact that I put a topcoat on at all?

Right now, I can easily tell where the repair is, the paint doesn't appear to blend in (it looks darker), and my next step would be to use the Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, but I don't want to get too far ahead if it doesn't appear that I did everything correctly.

If it was a scratch this big on the door, or on the hood, I probably would have it professionally done since the car is so new, but I can see the bumper getting scratched again at some point in the next 5 years I'd keep this car.

I really want to learn to do it right, so any helpful hints would be great. What did I do wrong (other than try to repair it myself?).

Do I need to start again from the beginning, and if I do, how do I remove everything I just did?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve

It doesn't matter. The whole thing has to be refinished.

You might want to remove the bumper in order to work on it, by the way. That way you can bring it into a shop to work on it, and paint it in a small spray booth when the time comes. Perhaps you can find a local woodworking shop which rents time, and has a spraybooth you can use.

You must refinish the entire bumper! There is no way to repair a modern automotive finish, particularly a base-coat/clear-coat one, such that the repair won't be obvious.

Such fine paper should not remove the topcoat. It only levels the scratches from finer paper, like 1500.

I'd say that 2000 is a waste of effort, because the effects of paper as coarse as 1200 can be taken out with a rubbing compound, leaving behind a mirror smooth surface.

If there are surface imperfections in the topcoat, such as a bit of spray stipple, you can remove that by wet sanding with something as coarse as 600. Or even more coarse, if you are gentle. Then go through the grades: 800, 1200. After that, rubbing compound.

In my experience, if you are hand-rubbing, and the finish is soft enough, you can polish after 800 grit paper. It just takes more elbow grease.

Even if the color matches, the finish will never blend in because of the different layers of transparency. Each layer that is applied must cover the entire panel being finished.

If you just apply the layers to a repaired area, it will show, because the new base coat, at the edges, goes over top of old clear coat. You aren't matching base to base, clear to clear, etc. That is impossible to do.

The color match isn't even as important if you do the whole part. So what if the bumper is darker by some fraction of a shade? That will be hard to tell because there is a visual separation between the bumper and the other panels. The eye can only distinguish small differences in shade or hue when they are adjacent. If they are separated by strip of darker or lighter color, the eye can no longer compare them, and will think that they are exactly the same. Try it: take a strip of one of those paint sample "chips" they have in paint stores and place a pencil along the boundary between two squares. You will now find it hard to see the difference between the two shades. Remove the pencil, and it's obvious.

Even if you do get an exact color match, at the point where the bumper meets the other panels, there is an angle. The light is never exactly the same on both parts, so in reality, they will never show the same shade under the same light.

Imagine if you were refinishing the six sides of a cube. If the sides get a very slightly different shade or hue of paint, it will be impossible to tell, since light falls at a different angle on the six sides.

Not doing the entire bumper, that's all.

Sand down the entire bumper, then apply the finish in the proper layers to the entire thing. Let it harden, then cut and polish. You probably don't have to go finer than around 1500 paper.

If you don't care about a perfect repair job, just take it as it is now, and polish out the dull area that was sanded with the 2000.

Like you said, the bumper will probably get scratched up over the next few years anyway.

You never know, you might even get into a fender bender and the whole thing will be repaired and painted at a pro shop.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

By the way, if you sand the paint with 400 and then apply the topcoat, do you think the 400 grit scratches in the base coat will magically go away? In fact, the top-coat will enhance their appearance. The same way that the grain of wood "jumps out" under a clear coat, those scratches will also!

Don't sand the base before clear-coating it. If you must, then you have to do it to completion, progressively through the finer papers. It's probably a bad idea to polish it, because the lubricants in the rubbing compound will likely interfere with the adhesion of the topcoat. But you can progress up to the fine grits at least.

The base coat surface under the clear coat must be quite perfect, because the clear coat won't hide any imperfections in it.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

what did you apply with? If it's with a brush... You cannot brush paint a car. Well... you can, but it's not gonna be pretty, and it's definitely not gonna match the factory finish.

Ray

Reply to
ray