Seafoam.

Is Seafoam good for cleaning out an EGR valve? Which auto parts stores sell Seafoam? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Not particularly. At least it didn't do much when I tried it. Autozone sells it around here (Dallas).

Reply to
e.meyer

m6onz5a

I doubt it.

Just get a can of carb cleaner, the stuff that is mostly xylene. Pull the valve out and start spraying.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yesterday/last night, I looked up, on the web, How to clean out an Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.

One of those sites mentioned Seafoam.It said that stuff will fog up the whole neighborhood.

I Like that! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

CarQuest sells it my area. I let the counter guy talk me into using it instead of Techron Clean-up. It was worthless. I wasted my money on the Seafoam and then had to use the Techron too. As best I can tell it is a religious thing...if you believe hard enough in Seafoam it performs miracles. I didn't have enough faith.

Reply to
C. E. White

It depends on what you are using it for. It works great as a fuel system cleaner and a top cylinder cleaner. If you expect it to clean the EGR passages or the valve itself, it probably won't do much.

I use it a LOT to do top end cleaning. For this you run the engine so it's u to temp, then pull off a vacuum line and allow engine vacuum to draw in half of the bottle. Then you pour in the rest through the intake. If the engine stalls out fine. If not shut it off and wait a couple hours. Then start it back up. WARNING DO NOT DO THIS INSIDE A GARAGE!!! Also make sure the exhaust is !NOT! pointed at anything you want to keep clean. You are going to see a LOT of carbon and crud come out of the pipe AND the smoke cloud will make neighbors think your place is on fire. My SOP is to take the vehicle to a large parking lot or go shopping with it. Then before I go in I run the cleaner in. Then it sets while I wander the store... Come out. Start the engine and drive away. That way the smoke doesn't stay in one spot and it just looks like you own a Mitsubishi.

As for where to buy it. Advance, NAPA, Fisher, Auto Zone, Wal~Mart and K~Mart all have it in my area.

Now if you want to clean ONLY the valve, Pull it off and use standard carb cleaner.

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe that, like the Lucas stuff, it's a mixture of soap and naptha. Which is good for the things that you might need soap and naptha for, but not so good for other things. If you need to clean your intake it might be just the thing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Seafoam is a very good penetrating oil- better than Liquid Wrench, not as good as Kroil.

They say you can use it for everything from intake manifold cleaning (fogging), to an oil additive to a gasoline additive. I say: Bullfeces. Its penetrating oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

To clean an EGR valve, remove it and use a strong carburetor cleaner, then re-install.

Reply to
Steve