Seaking crack in black plastic trim

I have a crack in the driver's side mirror mount, on the side of the car. There is a back triangle of plastic there right in front of the window. The triangle has a horizontal crack that does not seem to present a structural problem.

I am wondering how the seal the crack. One repair kit I looked at said to apply a backing, but the car would have to be taken apart to get to the back.

I am not sure I can completely hide the crack, but I would like to prevent water from getting into it.

Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to replace?

This is a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L.

Reply to
Tom Adams

If it's structural, I would use a black epoxy. If cosmetic, a black silicone caulk. With careful application it should be almost invisible.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Black silicone caulk, good idea. Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Adams

Tom Adams wrote in news:5272af16-6715-4527-8825- snipped-for-privacy@n15g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Wouldn't this be a FREE repair to you under the 3-year new-car warranty?

Reply to
Tegger

On one that new, dealer may fix it free as a goodwill gesture. Mirror mount may even count as 'safety related item', which they have to fix free for 'X' thousand mile or 'Y' years, whichever comes first, IIRC. Hey, worth stopping buy to ask the service manager.

Reply to
aemeijers

Worked great.

I used alcohol for cleanup. My research indicated that some solvents damage ABS plastic.

Reply to
Tom Adams

I will check with a dealer.

I have to admit I just bought the car. I am pretty sure it's damage from a minor mishap of some sort, since there is a small dent nearby above it. I bet the rear view mirror was replaced. But I don't know what happened, the car was a leased vehicle.

Perhaps I was a bit rushed in my scan of the car before purchase. I saw the dent, and I scanned the area but did not see the crack.

But it's pretty minor and I think the price was right, about 2K below blue book for a Honda certified used car.

Reply to
Tom Adams