Sears engine analyzer

I've looking at this thing (lunch-box sized object with an anlog meter with lots of scales and several knobs and switches) and have some questions. Is there anything that this thing does that can't be done with a good digital multimeter? Is there any real difference between the various models I see offered on eBay, besides the color, or colors of the meter, and the placement of the controls? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
sjpatejak

A good analog meter is useful sometimes, but if you have *neither* at the moment, I'd just get a regular Fluke first. Maybe one of the ones with a built in tach if you think you will be working on automotive stuff a lot.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This one?

I think you can clip on a sensor to the ignition wire to measure revs. It's probably not as precise as a digital automotive analyzer (Sears doesn't seem to sell any). Those should be dead-on when dealing with revs (a crystal oscillator is extremely precise). All other stuff is dependent on calibration.

The accuracy of this analog analyzer is going to be dependent on calibration. The dial could always be off.

Reply to
y_p_w