Sell or fix? Please help soon!

I've got a situation without the expertise or money to handle it.

I have a 1995 Mazda 626 that I haven't driven in over a year. It was given to me, so the investment was zero. Before I started having problems, it ran fairly well but was cutting out... I'd had a tune up and the fuel filter (I think?) done to try and fix it and it was a bit better, but still cut out. Aside from that it ran fine, everything worked, decent gas mileage, A/C, etc. A good car for our family's needs. 130k miles. One owner before us, it was used as a company car and was well maintained.

It became necessary for me to replace the battery and the starter. About a month later, it "freaked out", for lack of a better term, while being driven, and made an awful screeching noise and was immediately pulled to the side of the road. Being broke, a "friend of the family" diagnosed it as a flywheel problem. It went off to this guys house to be fixed cheaply in his spare time.

As you can guess, it never happened, because in the meantime we bought something else to run around in.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. We get several quotes for the flywheel job and all are $450 on up. Not having that much money, we wait. We find a guy who works at a shop but works from home on the side and he says he'll do it for $300.00... so we agree to go ahead and he has it towed to his house.

Important fact: he asks us if we're planning on keeping it or selling it when it's fixed, becuase he has a Mazda just like it that he wants to fix up for his wife. Hmmm. We tell him we want to drive it/keep it.

About 4 hours after he gets it to his house, he calls to tell us it's not the flywheel but the crankshaft... in his words: "Crankshaft's broke. $1200.00. not worth fixing."

If he is telling the truth, then no, it wouldn't be worth fixing, becuase it's not even worth that much and we could just go buy another one.

Still, we aren't sure and tell him just to have it towed to our house. We pay him for the towing charges and for checking it out. We also pay him to do a quick fix on my mom's car that we were driving at the time (borrowed).... so we end up giving him about $150 for everything.

My mom's car got broken into while at our house and the would-be thief messed up the steering column and ignition... luckily there was a "trick" to starting it so they didn't suceed in stealing the car, but they did mess it up and for a while we were starting it with a screwdriver. We paid this guy to fix it so we could start it easily but it wasn't properly fixed and the starter was "going out" (he said) so it was still iffy and sometimes wouldn't start at all.

He offers to fix it for $50 if I'll give him the Mazda as payment for the rest of the work. Remember how I said his wife had one he wanted to fix up?

At this point, we don't know this guy and aren't sure if he's honest... so we decline his offer. Besides, my mom wants to have the car towed to HER mechanic and have it done that way. So we have the Mazda, and he left parts off of it (and put them in the backseat!)... and we don't know if it's actually the crankshaft or just the flywheel, and it's been sitting outside of our house for a couple months.

To get it properly looked at we'd have to pay for more towing/diagnostic fees, and if it IS the crankshaft, we aren't sure we want to mess with it.

Meanwhile, some guy has been coming around offering us $200 for it, as-is, to use as parts for HIS Mazda of the same year/color. He needs a door and other things. We really need to give him an answer.

Our dilemma at this time is whether or not we shoudl just take the $200 offered and cut our losses, or spend more time/money having it checked out in case it is only the flywheel, because we could then have it fixed and running for under $600 (in theory?!?), but that doesn't include the $100 we spent having it towed around in the first place.... we really need a second car but basically we aren't sure if the Mazda is worth dumping money into. We could have it towed and spend money having it looked at only to find out it IS the crankshaft after all, at which point we'll be back to square one and our $200 buyer might have moved on.

I've had to get rid of enough "dead" cars in the past to know that $200 for a "dead" car with a big problem is a good offer. I don't want to let him (potential buyer) get away and have to have the thing hauled off for scrap metal for free instead... but I also don't want to sell a "good" car for $200 if it could be fixed and ready to go for less than it would cost us to go out and buy a similar make/model/year vehicle. If we sell it we're going to be car shopping soon anyway, for something in the same range, because our other car gets horrible gas mileage (v8 mid-80's station wagon).

I hope this isnt' too disjointed, and I hope someone can advise. We just don't know what to do and really don't know anyone here who can check it out for free for us here at the house. Is there a way that we can "look" and see if the crankshaft story is true or not?

Thanks much!

Reply to
thelionsden

snip lot's of background stuff

You don't say where you are located, so I will assume far away from me, but in any case.

Assuming this is a non-interference engine you could crank the motor and check compression. If you have one or more cylinders that have zero(0) compression, then the crank is broke. If it is an interference engine, then the motor is already going to be so messed up, it will cost you a lot more to fix than it will ever be worth.

If you have compression on all cylinders, the crank may still be broke just in a fashion that makes it harder to detect.

Given that you don't have the money or expertise to fix this yourself, I would take the money and run. You are looking at spending a minimum of $600, plus the $200 for selling the car, for a car that might be worth $1000 when you are done. You might come out ahead, but you have a pretty high probability of coming out behind. Not to mention the time it will take to get it fixed. The other guy may have been lying to you, he may not. It's pretty hard to say.

Take the $800 and go looking for something else. This car owes you nothing. Anything you can sell it for is net money to you. Small 4 dr, reliable beaters can easily be found for

Reply to
cyberzl1

Nope. To check out the crankshaft tale, you have to drop the pan and bearings and have a look.

Nothing is free, unfortunately.

If you can't assess this yourself, the bills (towing, for instance) can keep building up.

I would cut my losses, figure my best exit strategy, and get on with it.

Reply to
<HLS

The car is probly worth more than 200 if you sell it for parts and the fact that the same guy keeps asking about it sounds like he really wants it.

Tell him you will give it up for 300 or try 350 and see what happens.

JIM

Reply to
jim

I'm wondering if one of the parts the mechanic left on the back seat was the oil pan. It that were the case then verifying the broken crank would be child's play. Find a child to check it out.

Reply to
Al Bundy

What parts did he take off and leave in the back seat? If one of them is the oil pan then jack the car up and take a look at the crankshaft. If it is broken it shouldn't be hard to tell.

Reply to
Steve W.