Serious problem? - chrysler 2001 van

I finally got my mitts on my van to see what is up with the erratic shifting/transmission issue the girlfriend was talking about. It is rather hard to describe, but here is an attempt.

All the indicator lights (PRN3DL) come on when it is started. Sometimes when I shift gears, it will move to define the R or D or N, etc. Other times all the lights will come on so you do not know where the shift position actually is. The shift itself and the transmission seem to go into position properly, it is the indicator that is messed up. Sometimes you know it is in D, but L will come on. Sometimes the van will not move as a result. Othertimes you can move through the gears and it will display properly. It is intermittent in nature, but is becoming quite frequent now.

Once it is gear and moving, it all seems to work exactly as it should from the perspective of the automatic shifting, etc under all different loads, speeds, and acceleration.

Is there some sort of switch on the shift mechanism going? Transmission solenoid? Bad computer ground? Something really disasterous?

It has about 93K on it and the transmission oil was changed at about

45K.

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks and regards. A bit of a novice on the newer vehicles, so please be gentle. lol.

Reply to
BSAKing

Yes - my ODBII code reader gives 01 - P0731 which decodes as gear 1 - incorrect gear ratio which is consistent with a mismatch between the indicator and what is actually engaged when it messes up I would think....

I have read about corroded wires causing issues - any ideas where? Grounds to check, etc.

tia

Reply to
BSAKing

Called a local reputable xmission shop. On the basis of symptoms, they told me to check out the computer and wiring which is in the driver's side wheel well. I'm going to take a peek this weekend.

Reply to
BSAKing

You have two sensors on the trans that go bad often, input and output speed sensors. When one/both of these go bad it can set that code. This would be very simple to check with a capable scan tool. If the sensors are bad you should be able to replace them yourself.

Reply to
Mike