Serpentine Belt

What is the range in which this should cost to be replaced? I think I just got mauled on the cost and am pretty annoyed by it.

Reply to
simon

simon

Price depends on what make model and year of vehicle it is going on.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

We had to have one done on our Buick LeSabre a year or so ago. Since the serpentine was routed through the motor supports*, I chose to have the dealership do it. They charged us about $75 plus parts. In this case, I bought the serpentine belt for about $27.

  • You cannot replace this belt without unbolting a motor support, or similar.
Reply to
<HLS

And would this serpentine belt fit on anything in particular ????? Year, make, model, engine size and accessories might be a good start.

Reply to
Mike

$170 USD

Reply to
« Paul »

Have you checked on GMs recommended replacement interval for serpentine belts? I have read they expect the belt to be good for 100k miles and only recommend replacement sooner if the belt is cracking on the back side (the "smooth" side).

A local resident decided he want to see how long a serpentine belt would last on his F150. He kept a replacement belt and a breaker bar in the truck so he was prepared when it finally failed. When he sold the truck with nearly 200k miles, the new belt was still behind the seat. I've owned two Ford Expeditions. For the first one I replaced the serpentine belt at 100k miles - it seemed to be OK. For the second one, I sold the truck with 94k miles, and it still had the original belt. My sister 1997 Honda has 130k miles and the original serpentine belt (but not the original timing belt - LOL).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I havent seen them crack on the backside but have definitely seen the crack and burnish on the grooved side. I change when this happens regardless of GM guidance.

We just had to change the second one on the aforementioned Buick but it was not the fault of the belt. The bearings in the idler pulley scattered and wrapped the belt around everything it could contact... but it didnt break. First idler pulley I have ever seen decompose like this one.

Reply to
<HLS

GM actually say the cracks on the grooved side are not a problem. If they worry you, next time buy one of the "pre-cracked" ones - I am talking about the ones with lots of little segments instead of continuous groves.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The serpentine belt I bought at AutoZone only lasted less then 20K before flying apart.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

On Feb 15, 7:03 am, "C. E. White" wrote: My sister 1997 Honda has 130k miles and the original serpentine

Serpentine belt? Which 1997 Honda was this?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish