Serpentine Belt 92 Dodge Spirit

Twice in the past month, both in very slushy conditions, my serpentine belt has come off on my 1992 Dodge Spirit 3 liter 6 cyl Mitsibushi engine. The dealer has simply replaced it as the belt appears to be in good shape. Apparently ice gets on the belt and forces it off. Does this make sense or is it more likely there is another underlying problem. Should I replace the belt (it is about due anyway) or wil this continue to happen even with a new belt?

Reply to
rmacnabs

Check the belt tensioner. It sounds like the belt is getting too loose.

You might even have a loose accessory... I had a bolt break that was holding the alternator. Belt definately flew off that time.

Reply to
Noozer

Since 3.0 Mitsubishi's all tend to be pretty much alike, you probably need the "snow shield" installed that was mentioned in a TSB around 1999- 2000 for the mini-vans.

And yes, it works.

Reply to
aarcuda69062