Service Vehicle Soon...what sets this MIL?

Vehicle: 2000 Pont Grand Am SE V6 3.4L

Can anyone tell me what types of GM vehicle problems set the SVS MIL as opposed to the Svc Engine Soon MIL? Are there codes for this like SES?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

SVS? Do you mean SES/SRS?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

A light in the dash that says "Service Vehicle Soon", instead of the more common "service engine soon".

MB

Reply to
mab992

LOL, same thing. Sounds like it's time for a mechanic.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Nope. *NOT* the same thing. I wouldn't have BOTH lights in my dash if they were the same thing. I can run codes on SES on Autotap or AutoXray but not so for SVS.

Reply to
mab992

The SVS light is set by the body control module and relates to failures the BCM detects. Lighting faults are the only thing I'm aware of that trip this indicator. You may have a chassis code stored which can be accessed with a GM Tech2 or good non-factory scan tool. First, check all of your external lights to see if one is out.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Some SVS lights come on at specified intervals, determined by the car mfgr. to *remind* owner that certain routine services need to be performed. The light is easily reset by the shop, or owner if he has a scan tool.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

The newer cars will soon just have a REPLACE ENGINE light. And of course all the Japanese cars with the REDUCE TARIFF light.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Back in the 80's some vehicles had check emissions or maintenance required lights that would come on at specified intervals. Most of them had a little module hidden somewhere that could be reset by pushing a button or something similar, no scan tools required. If the SVS light is on there is a problem and the body control module is trying to tell you about it. Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's one of my headlamps. I have no DRL (neither is on), however when I manually switch the headlights to the "on" position only one is on. There is no SVS light at night.

Reply to
mab992

OP just said his DRLs aren't working and one of his headlights is out. Fish says that will do it. Let's check the filament on that one headlight that isn't lighting.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

There you go. Your headlights are wired in series during DRL operation, so if one is out, neither will light. Headlights return to parallel (normal) wiring in standard headlight mode, which is why you can see one bulb is out. Replace that bulb and the SVS light should go out.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I never knew that, tanks for the education

***************** Keep bush as PRESIDENT He makes my people skills look great.

Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

My friend with a new Accord had the light come on soon after being serviced at the dealer. It was the service reminder light and they had neglected to reset it. The procedure to reset was in the owners manual. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Yah Nick, people have different cars that are configured differently. The only ones I ever paid much attention to were the ones I owned. No need to memorize the encyclopedia of automobiles.

I think we need to brush up on electric motors now. The President thinks this is the new thing when it comes to cars. Someday hydrocarbon burning vehicles won't be around anymore because there won't be any hydrocarbons in enough quantity to keep the wheels turning. ( I should live so long ).

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Glickie,

Maybe you oughta' write a book about it eh? ;)

Reply to
mab992

Glickie? that's Mr. Glickman to you, mop boy. And if I did write a book, what makes you think you would be smart enough to be able to read it?

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Well Mr. Dickman, I know how to begin a sentence with a capital letter.

That's for sure! ;)

Reply to
mab992

That's a start. Let me know when you can count to 5 without using your fingers.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Mr. Dickman wrote: That's a start. Let me know when you can count to 5 without using your fingers

**** Why? So you can learn how to do it?

How's that credit score coming Mr. Chapter 7? Why don't you tell these fine R.A.T. folks how to RESPONSIBLY use credit and credit cards?

MB

Reply to
mab992