Shell gas with "nitrogen"?

Toyota MDT in MO wrote in news:yrx4m.7273$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I heard next year they are going to add gasoline to the mix. I wonder what that will do?

Reply to
Tegger

That guy is a clown. Wearing a HEADSET? Now there's a catchy idea to GRAB your attention! And WAIT! that's NOT ALL! If you order =NOW= we'll throw in ANOTHER one JUST LIKE IT. just pay shipping!

You know, they make millions of dollars, because ... "IT'S MADE IN GERMANY, AND YOU KNOW THE GERMANS ONLY MAKE GOOD STUFF !!!"

Well I'll be. Martha! Come in from the kitchen! the SHAM WOW guy is on TV! Kids...put away your homework and come on and see THIS!

Reply to
Nicholas

Bring it back up to $4/gallon?

Reply to
Nicholas

When I first came home from college I had hair almost down to my waist, and my father freaked out, telling me that I looked like Jesus and they should put me in prison for my hair. (I think they did something like that to Jesus too and overall that didn't turn out well).

Fast forward a few years, and most of my hair is on my back and in my nose, BUT I no longer have safety concerns with hair getting caught in machinery I'm working on.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I'd ask you where you were that it was only 60%. Most places it's a bit over 78% Nitrogen.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nitrox (EANx for the picky folks), it's not just for your SCUBA tank any more...

Reply to
Pete C.

When I was younger, I used to follow the decimal points. These days, I see it doesn't much matter, and never did, except in some few situations. Only Bean Counters obsess over the microshit. I've moved on to Macroshit.

Otoh, at 36,000 ft above Mean Sea Level, whilst flying in a DC10 or somesuch, the air mix is NOT the same as 36,000 ft below. Feel free to do the experiment yourself.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Too expensive for ordinary commercial applications.

Reply to
Nicholas

18% off isn't decimal places.

The density is lower, but the percentages should be about the same.

Reply to
Pete C.

You laugh, but the latest thing in eco-friendly Eurotech diesels is... uro-tech. They won't go anymore when the urea tank runs dry (I think they do give you fair warning -- dancing up and down on one wheel or crossing and uncrossing their steering or something).

One of the systems is called Bluetec, a triumph of discretion over obviousness in choice of colors.

The active ingredient is the chemical urea, which of course is just one component of urine. Urea is actually chemically and historically interesting -- says here it was the first biological chemical synthesized in vitro, without the use of a living thing in the process; and it's of some significance as an industrial feedstock. In diesels, it goes somewhere in the exhaust system, reducing NOx emissions and (I think) the micron-scale particulates that have been a particular obstacle to widespread adoption of diesels in the US.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

If I cared, I would have looked it up.

Tell that to all the dead people aboard planes that decompress at that altitude. Entire crews and all passengers...flying a ghost ship into oblivion. O2 masks dangling, but not one on anybody's face.

The Air Force has 2 choices: shoot it down or let it run out of fuel. You don't hear about this kind of thing MUCH, but it damn well happens. Even in Lear Jets.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Like the salinity of sea water, it would vary a little bit locally, but one figure I have seen is 79.05% oxygen. As you say it is close enough.

Since nitrogen and oxygen have different molecular masses, one would think the mol percentages might vary a bit with distance from earth's gravitational focus, but again, you are right...the mol percent is about the same as at sea level. The density of the gas kills you.

Reply to
HLS

IIRC, the atmospheric pressure INSIDE the aircraft is kept at 10,000 feet above Mean Sea Level. IOW, you're no longer at 14 psi=1 atmosphere.

This is one reason that -I-, with severe Coronary Artery Disease and COPD etc etc have required supplemental O2 on various flights. They burn the entire bottle on you, even if you don't need it anymore, because they don't want to be liable for turning it off too soon if something bad happens.

Then again, I've been on flights that had EMPTY O2 bottles aboard. NO supplementary O2 available on an individual basis. So, if you think you might need it, Bring Your Own. Or call the airlines ahead of time and give them a heads up. They may charge you for the bottle, but your medical insurance should pick up the tab.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

OxyClean is awesome. It took blue food coloring out of my beige carpet after my 3 year old got ahold of it. Since then, I'm a believer.

Ray

Reply to
ray

I believe they are, up into a layer of the atmosphere that earns you astronaut wings.

The problem is that there's a rather pronounced knee in the curve of your body's response to decreasing partial pressure of O2 (and that partial pressure stairsteps down, an efficiency term if you will, as you go from trachea to alveoli to the various blood vessels to the tissues where the oxygen is used). Important ground rule (no pun intended and not much of one achieved): your brain needs a certain amount of oxygen perfusion to function efficiently and a certain lower amount just to maintain consciousness.

Somewere in the several thousands of feet up through maybe fifteen thousand, you shake out a lot of individual differences in physiology and acclimatization ("mountain sickness" basically). By 20,000 feet you basically need supplementary oxygen to keep performing well enough to fly a plane. That's the simulated altitude they use in training chambers because it illustrates the effects without much risk of killing you. The effects hit harder and faster as you go up. At the cruising altitudes of passenger jets, it's a very good idea for the flight crew to know how to don their emergency oxygen fast without thinking too much. Above, I think, more or less 50,000, military doctrine calls for a pressure suit because even breathing pure O2 isn't enough. (Only the military usually goes that high; passenger aircraft observe a practical ceiling of, I think, 41,000 feet, though some, such as the DC-8, have supposedly been coaxed as high as

50,000.)

The "Virtual Naval Hospital" website

is back on the air and has some great stuff on both the physiology of flight and elevation concerns for ground troops fighting at high elevations.

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Nitrogen, instead of Air, is used in Aircraft tires and racing cars tires.You can use Nitrogen in your vehicle tires too.Trees have a lot of Nitrogen in them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Shell is just using doubletalk. No trees in their gasoline. (This advertising is an insult to even average intelligence.)

Reply to
HLS

Wayyyyyy back in the aulden T Model style days,,, an old ''Trick'' was if you had a flat tire, you could cram some straw (Nitrogen) in there and keep on going.Those folks were using Nitrogen in those tires and didn't know it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Oh, dude. You are so full of it.

Reply to
HLS

"HLS" wrote in news:mY65m.3621$vO4.1952 @flpi145.ffdc.sbc.com:

I guess the upshot of all this is that nobody has the foggiest notion what nitrogen-containing compound is being added by Shell.

Reply to
Tegger