short in system

1993 silverado.

first off - bulb is working

WITHOUT TRAILER HOOKED UP

-------------------------------------------- right side of vehicle - everything works fine left side of vehicle - front lights are all working ( signal's blinking fast ) left side of vehicle - rear lights - no brake/blinker/4 way - but the bulb works ) - reverse lights work

WITH TRAILER HOOKED UP

-------------------------------------- all symptoms same above

trailer lights

right blinker works left blinker works fine brake lights work. right blinker and brake lights - works fine left blinker and brake lights - activates 4 way tai lights at night - fine

I had the complete left side light housing apart and took a light tester ( tested on battery terminal first to make sure it worked ) and got nothing at the plug end ( before it plugs into rear light housing ). The sockets themselves look fine. No rust to speak of and remnants of grease but that is not the cause.

the only thing I can figure now is the connector might be the possible cause or

1 of the 4 wires coming from the T harness for the trailer connecting to the tai lights is bad.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Check the wiring where the trailer connector is wired into the vehicle wiring. Corrosion could cause a high-resistance short between terminals.

Dave

( tested on battery

( before it plugs into rear

and remnants of grease but

cause or 1 of the 4 wires

Reply to
DaveB

The trailer connector is brand new right out of the packaging. The connector that was already on the truck is even in good shape. No rust or corrosion was found when I put them together. I even tried taking the harness off completely and hooking the vehicle lights up as per normal and that didn't cure the problem. One thing that I am checking this weekend tho is the ground connector. I have 2 O-ring connectors sitting on a screw tapped into a part of the frame. I'm going to take the ground completely off and clean up the drill hole. At the same time I am going to change the connectors over to a T fitting and retap in place making sure that it is good and clean.

"DaveB" cleverly wrote:

Reply to
Michael McNeil