Should I install a remote starter on 89 f-150

I was in target the other day and they had a remote starter with keyless entry for 49 bucks. I would like to have it for my truck to get warm in the winter and to use to lock/unlock the dorrs because my switches dont work all the time.

Are these difficult to put in and are they reliable? The truck is not that great but I would like to have the features.

Also thought about putting one on my 90 Mustang.

Reply to
Don

Dime store Electronics is just that.

Be a man, Buy a REAL remote start from a real company.

has a great Keyless entry remote start unit for about $65.

Reply to
Im Right

Be a man and forget the remote starter. What a complete waste of fuel and the cause of significant pollution. Get in your car, start it up, wait for the oil light to go out and DRIVE the SOB! If you are cold, wear your coat!

Reply to
Rob Munach

YES! :) Don't be "afraid" to wear more than a coat even. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

- Rob Munach -

- Nehmo - It's possible OP is sick or old, so your comment may be insensitive. But there's another problem with remote starters, yet un-addressed by manufacturers, that this story, which is not a remote starter story, illustrates.

I know a young woman in Tucson, who slaps the hood of her car before she gets in and starts it in cool weather.

Once, on a cold morning just as she was preparing to commute to her job at a health food store, she sat in the driver's seat of her car and turned the ignition key. The engine hesitated on the starting turn-over, and she heard a shriek..As she tells the story, the cat took a long time to die. Animals, wild and domestic, sometimes take shelter under the hood.

When you bounce the vehicle by entering and sitting in it, most animals that could be in the engine compartment, I suppose, are scared away. Automatic starters don't give any warning. This shortcoming could be corrected fairly easily. The horn or something else could blast a few seconds before the start.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Hi, I am a man but in -30C weather, remote starter is helpful. I don't use it every day, only when I have to. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, It happened to me exactly. Almost broke neighbor's orange tabbies back. If I park my car outside, I always tap the hood. I once saw it happen in a camp ground, the cat got shredded and wrecked the rad of a tow truck. Camping trip for the cat ended in a tragic death. My starter need

3 pushes on the button in 5 seconds. 2nd and 3rd push honk the horn as well it flahses head and tail lights. Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

At least you wouldn't have to sit through all the grotesque noises from the cat expiring if you were sitting inside your cozy warm kitchen clutching a cup of coffee when you hit the button :)

I'm sorry, that was probably insensitive...really I'm an animal lover :)

-BunnMan

Reply to
BunnMan

If they both have auto trans then go ahead, if stick shift don't. I have installed a number of the Bulldog units. They work great and Bulldog's support is phenomenal. If you are not familiar with wiring and electrical work, don't attempt it. If you are adept at these sort of things make sure to use decent quality crimpable terminals, not the "guillotine" style crap.

Remote start is a great help in the winter for heat/defrost and in the summer for AC. I don't use one in my pick up but have kept my wife outfitted with them in her past few vehicles. Presently she is driving the neighborhood truckster mini-van and it has been great for her and the kids on school mornings. Also a whole lot more secure than starting with the key, leaving the door unlocked and engine running to warm up/cool down. Better for engine life because you allow the thing to get to operating temperature before you demand any work from it. As for the little kitty cats (see below), if you have factory keyless entry, use that to beep the horn before pushing the button on the remote starter. If it is first thing in the morning and those poor little kitty cats are clamoring to hug up next to an ice cold engine block to stay warm...contemplate maybe not hitting the horn first and cleaning up the gene pool a little.

-BunnMan

Reply to
BunnMan

Easy to say in Arizona! I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and my auto-start is more than just a convenience. It has a low-temp auto-function which will start the truck (2003 F-150) every two hours. This is important when you have to park somewhere that has no electrical outlet access so your engine doesn't freeze (we plug our vehicles in during the winter up here: block heater, battery pad, oil pan heater, etc.) .

I do admit, however, that I make sure I leave my heated seats in the "on" position when I park the truck for the night so they warm up when I fire up the auto-start in the morning!

Reply to
GW