Should Tire Alignment Always Be Separate Charge From Tire Installation?

When getting four new tires installed, should a wheel alignment be included, or is that always a separate (and optional) charge? I had four tires installed at Wheel Works and was surprised to see a separate $85 charge for alignment, that was separate from the quoted charge for the tires.

Reply to
Will

I guess it would be up to the place selling the tires. There is no reason you need to get an alignment simply because you buy new tires.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Always a separate charge. It is a good idea to have an alignment done when you get new tires but not mandatory. While the charge would be in addition to other work performed they were wrong to do the work without asking. Depending on where you live they may have broken a law. My home state requires them to do an estimate and you have to sign the estimate before work begins.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

A wheel alignment is not normally included. Not to say it might not be a good idea.

You should have been advised "up front" what was to be done, and what the charges would be. If the company crossed the line of legality, you could probably recover those fees in small claims court.

Reply to
hls

There's a chain around here that gives a free alignment with 4 tires purchased. Makes it a pretty good deal. They did mine and 40,000 miles later, I see no ill effects. But most of the time I would rather get my car aligned at an alignment shop or even the dealer before letting a tire shop do it.

I agree with the earlier posters, though. Doing an 85$ service without your consent is, at the least, unethical.

Reply to
MG