Significance of tire load index rating?

The original tires of my car are Michelin tires with a load index/speed rating code of 88S. For reasons that I don't understand, I'm having a hard time finding Michelin tires with the same or higher load/speed ratings in the local area. A few local tire dealers don't seem to think that matching the load rating is critical. They would offer to sell me tires with a load index of 86 (and there are many brands and models available, although I have a preference for Michelin). Only 1 technician recommended against substituting tires of a lower load index for the original ones.

My question is: In practice, how important is it to use tires with the same or higher load index than specified by the car manufacturer? (I checked placard on the car. A pair of 86-rated tires should be able to bear the weight of the front axle (the heavier of the two) at GVWR, and do so with some safety margin.)

Reply to
MDI

Don't know the answer, but you can affect the load capacity w/ inflation pressure, to some extent. I don't pay much attention to that stuff anyway, esp. since I don't drive very fast, or much.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®