Slickness is gone once the transmission fluid was replaced

I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic). about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the manual gearbox.

It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.

It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.

I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart (liter actually) around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the shifting slick and seamless again.

Reply to
AD

Then deal with it!

Reply to
no way

hopefully the wrong fluid isn't going to mess something up down the road.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Of what? What kind of car?

What did the dealer recommend? What does the manual recommend?

Is this an Audi A4? What year? Some of those want GL5 oil, some of them want different oil for the gearbox and the differential.

It's a 20 minute job, you can do it yourself in the driveway. Don't waste $135 on having some joker do it. I'd tend to recommend Red Line or Motul but you'll get as many different oil recommendations as mechanics I think.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

well, you're not hallucinating about the change in shift quality. but you are if you're thinking that just any old oil will work in any transmission.

otoh, you could go online and find either:

a. $25 a liter or less for oem fluid, not $45.

b. one of the other oils that actually meets spec, and save just a little more.

Reply to
jim beam

redline may indeed have something, but motul seems to be more commonly recommended on the vw forums.

Reply to
jim beam

Then deal with it

********

Given that all of your posts to date have been totally devoid of either interest or value, and with no reasonable expectation for any deviation from that track record in the future, do kindly take the hint and spare one and all from your continual boorish behavior and permanently depart these premises until such an unlikely time that you actually have something to contribute.

Reply to
Heron

I can't say anything specific but it sounds like "the wrong oil". What does the owners manual recommend?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm really going out on a limb here I know, but my guess is

"OEM VW transaxle oil".

After having owned an Audi and learning all about their special oils and fluids, I wouldn't second guess the owner's manual recommendations. Just chalk it up to experience and fill it with /exactly/ what the manual recommends.

Or, he could get on a VW-specific forum and ask the folks in the know what aftermarket stuff works just like the recommended OEM lubricant.

Reply to
Mark Olson

If it were me, I'd call Redline and ask what they recommend, although I am kind of biased.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What vehicle is this? A4 chassis VW or Audi A4?

In any case I can't speak directly to an 02A VW transaxle or whatever the Audi uses, but I have had excellent luck with Redline MT-90 in 020 transaxles (and old Borg-Warner T10s as well, although that means absolutely nothing relative to your query. The last one I used Heavy Shockproof at the recommend of a drag racing friend, and it is a little stiffer shifting but still eminently acceptable.) I've also heard that Swepco works well but didn't have a local source for it when I had VWs although now that I don't, I do :)

Currently running Redline Heavy Shockproof in the Jeep's axles, although that doesn't really mean anything, but their D4 ATF seems to be working great in the Jeep's Aisin-Warner AW4 transmission.

yeah, I pretty much have a very positive opinion of Redline products and shift quality/feel...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A4 B6 (made in late sept 2002)

75w80 or 75w90?

I was pondering the idea of lighter weight oil to alleviate that shifting woe.

Reply to
AD

Well, trash films have their audience or they won't exist. Some people just GOT to have their incompetence on display thinly veiled as arrogance (it;s widespread malaise where I live, but apparently it found its way into the new world also: the guy is the regular poster to a nascar NG if that tells you anything :-))))))

Reply to
AD

einstein's definition of insanity - keep doing the same thing but expecting a different result.

just buy the right oil dude. only don't get ripped off - buy online and pay half what you were quoted. or less.

Reply to
jim beam

I am not disputing the need to change the brand and possibly sucking up to buying oem at the hefty premium while going lighter weight.

thanks, though savings going online in my neck of wood ain't what they are in the states

Reply to
AD

AD wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

I was just wondering, are you sure the trany uses that heavy of oil? most modern manuals now use auto trany oil. if so that heavy of oil will deff change the shift feel. KB (no I didn`t bother looking it up to see myself)

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

why go to a lighter weight?? just put in what it's supposed to have and call it a day. You can always check with the dealership about using a lighter weight. They have recommended weight oils for a reason.

Reply to
m6onz5a

20 years ago, I had a VAG car that 'crunched' into second.

The solution was to blend half the volume with the recommended grade, and half with a heavier grade, both to GL5 spec.

YMMV

David

Reply to
David

According to Mitchell......

*Manual Transmission Fluid*

AWD, 5 Spd Trans Rear Final Drive, 01R API - GL- 5, SAE 75W-90 2.01 QTS.

AWD, 5 Spd Trans, Trans Mfr CD 01A SAE 75W-90, Sythetic Oil 2.91 QTS. Part No. G 052 911 A1.

AWD, 6 Spd Trans, Trans Mfr CD 01E SAE 75W-90, Sythetic Oil 2.6 QTS. Part No. G 052 911 A1.

FWD, Trans Mfr CD 01W SAE 75W-90, Sythetic Oil 2.38 QTS. Part No. G 005 000.

Reply to
Sanity Clause

GL-5 in a VW transaxle is a no-no from what I understand, most of the EP additives contain sulfur, this is why many people recommend going with a synthetic GL-4. I know Redline is advertised as sulfur-free and yellow metal synchronizer safe, that is why I tried it instead of the Swepco; I haven't had a reason to switch since.

NB: this is based on my knowledge of VW 020/02A transaxles and may not be applicable to the OP's Audi. FWIW Redline recommends MT-90 for OP's app but I would get an opinion from someone who has actually used it in that specific transaxle (search Audi-specific forums) before switching.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel