Sliding door on 95 Ford Aerostar won't open

I am having difficulty trying to get my sliding door to open on my Ford aerostar. it has never worked since I got it 2 years ago I am wanting to sell it , but would like to get it fixed. I need some advice on how to get it to work I used to work in automotive shops , but never did much in the way of body repairs and such with the acception of door motors. so anyone that has had some experiance with this problem I would sure appreiate any advice you could give me

Hoss

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

Usually starts with taking the interior door panel off and figuring out what isn't working when the door handle is pulled. After not working for 2 or more years I can imagine that there are many things rusted and corroded that will need lubrication or replacement. Often linkages get bent and don't move in the desired direction anymore.

Reply to
golden oldie

exception? appreciate experience...

man hard to read this one...

it will be hard to get the door panel off that thing now with the door closed.. jeeze, that would be your first place to start however...

Reply to
Picasso

Well, the door panel is off .. not sure who did it , but they kind of yanked it off not knowing what they were doing ... as far as seeing stuff.. well, I can see most of the linkage , and I used PB blaster on the linkage.. something is jammed or stretched . problem is you can only see so much in there. If I could get a good eyeful I would be able to figure it no problem. The door itself , Well, how to explain it is its opened slightly after fooling with it lubing things . so its open like a crack.. enough for the door open light to come on . problem is it just won't let go the rest of the way. so the only thing I can figure is it's still partly latched . GRRRRR

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Redneck Cowboy) wrote in news:20755-476DC4F9-282 @storefull-3155.bay.webtv.net:

If the door will come at least part-way open, can you grasp the handle and pull the entire door up and down a half-inch or so? If you pull the door up as far as you can, will it then slide open?

Reply to
Tegger

Well, I got the door open !!! I managed to get the rest of the door panel open with it still closed . and was able to see better and figure out how to work the mechanism.. Well, that said and done , I tried to do some adjustments on the door ,,, well, I got it where it would work on the outside and inside, problem is that there is this piece in the mechanism that sometimes works as its supposed to and sometimes not! Well, anyhow as it sits the door is closed LOL and having a devil of a time tryin to get it to open again . I know if I can do it once I can do it again. I will continue to update when I can as it may turn into a interesting story when all is said and done.

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

Go to the auto parts store and get a mirror on a telescoping post. Use that and a flashlight and you should be able to get a good eyeful.

The shop manual for the car MAY have a tear-down diagram, but if you are about to sell it, I suspect the shop manual will cost more than you will get for it.

The door itself , Well, how to explain it is its

I bet a nickel you have a broken spring.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I have a 96 Aero the door latch was stuck, I had t

remove the interior panel and pull the latch linkage and sorta kic the door from the inside to open. the linkage needed to be pushe then pulled to make it work Finally I replaced the latch and that fixed the problen, now it snap open with very little force and works very well, the latch was abou

27 bucks at a Arizona ford dealer online site
Reply to
rhayashi

I appreciate the advice. its fixed though. I removed the rest of the door panel took some locking pliars to the the rod that activates the latch and slid it back and forth whitch opened the door. Then I removed the mechanism that had the inside door handle . I had to drill out the rivots and chisel them too LOL , but it came out and I could see it was bent some .. so I straightend it back out and re-rivoted it back in and it worked perfectly.. I had a problem though.. Where the inside door handle was supposed to be was stripped .. so I bought one from a parts store that was too big so I had this clay stuff that when you activate it becomes hard . so I put that on the stripped area pressed the new door handle on and left for a day or so and now the door can be opened from either the inside or outside. so that is one less problem I have . Thanks for the advice from everyone that posted

Hoss

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy