small pieces of metal in transmission fluid

I have a 1997 geo metro with 42k on it. When I checked my transmission fluid (after driving for 15 minutes) I saw small specks of metal in it. The color was dark red. Does the presence of tiny specks of metal mean that I have a problem with my transmission? Is it ok to change the fluid?

Reply to
wiley1

That's bad.

Probably.

Absolutely, and make sure you change the filter out too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Maybe not. A lot of manual transmissions show little chips off the synchronizer cogs and the gears themselves, which usually wind up stuck to the magnetic drain plug eventually. If its an automatic, though, (which I presume from the ease with which the OP checked it) then it probably is a bad sign since automatics don't gnash gears (or synchros) and have a forced fluid filtration system.

Reply to
Steve