SmartTire transmitters vs idiot tire changers.

I'm just had my second, and possibly third SmartTire transmitter torn off it's mounting band by a clueless tire "tech".

=20 This time, I gave the shop ample warning, AND a photograph of the transmitter mounted on the bare rim, with it's postion clearly visible relative to the valve stem and the rim. =20

They let me know that one "came off", but it had obviously been torn off when they broke the bead directly over it. I remounted by running the band over the top of it. but it may have come loose again. Another on the same side transmits only intermttently, making me think it's loose as well

So far, I think my options are:

  1. Stand by the tire machine and guide the tech through every step.
  2. Be prepared, and buy a dozen transmitters (at each)
  3. Buy my own tire machine and change them at home.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than the photo makes it. =20

Doug Warner

Why do you need them in the first place?

Reply to
« Paul »

"Doug Warner" wrote

  1. Take the things off the tires....tire changing places are not set up to deal with little customer installed gadgets on tires.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

"the transmitter is attached with SmarTire?s steel band and positioned in the drop centre well near the valve."

Why? What does proximity to the valve have to do with its function? Perhaps this is just so you know where it is? Will the device not work if positioned in the middle of the rim?

When you break a bead it often comes off all the way around. A pneumatic changer is hard to control.

???

And even then you may not succeed. Those tire machines have a lot of enthusiasm.

The photo encourages placing the transmitter in a very vulnerable area. Are you sure it HAS to go there? Where's the pickup antenna?

Reply to
John Ings

I think if I was managing the tire store & knowing the IQ and pay scale of the guys doing the work, I would hand you back a standard "not responsible for incidental damages to customer installed non-standard equipment" form as soon as you handed me the picture.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Sorry your having such problems But I think the blame should go to the person you gave this information to probably a counter sales person the guy who said no problem we do this kind of stuff all the time .IS YOUR CAR A CORVETT BY CHANCE In most cases the reason for the tranmiter is do to very low profile tires and hard tires like RUN FLAT TIRES THE TECH SHOULD BE OR BY SOME LAW HAS TO BE CERTIFIED IN PROPER PROCDURES ASK AROUND...........

Reply to
Buzzbolynne

- Doug Warner -

>This time, I gave the shop ample warning, AND a photograph of the> >transmitter mounted on the bare rim, with it's postion clearlyvisible

- John Ings -

- Nehmo - The pic on this page seems to show the device on the inside of the valve stem, which is the second mounting arrangement described on.

"INSTALLATION METHODOLOGIES

-------- SmarTire's products feature transmitter options with different installation choices for different applications. A strap mounted transmitter attached to the wheel offers the most universal installation for a wide range of tire and wheel assemblies. A valve mounted transmitter attached to the base of the valve offers an adjustable, secure in-tire installation for specific wheel profiles. A third installation option currently under development is a bonded solution, offering the most flexible solution yet. Once installed, sensor / transmitters do not require on-going maintenance."

The strap attachment should work. Maybe putting the device inside of a short piece of PVC tubing and then strapping around (in the drop center) would be better. I assume the rim is balanced afterwards.

It seems like with OP's current arrangement, changing tires/rims with one of those devices installed is touchy. The manufacturer should provide, but doesn't yet on its site, instructions on how exactly to avoid damaging the device during a rim/tire change.

If OP understands the proper way to do the change, then by all means, he should supervise or do it himself.

I had a tire business (only mobile home tires, incidentally) for several years, and I pride myself in my ability to change a tire. When I buy my own light truck or car tires, I always either watch the job or do it myself. I prefer to do it myself. A lot of tire places are resistant to letting a customer use their equipment because of insurance concerns, but if you're assertive enough, you can force your way.

But I have just watched on occasion. On some of those times, I've caught workers trying to skimp on the balancing. Sometimes, they don't even know how to use the balancing machine. On a few other times, I've caught them putting in just a guessed-at pressure.

I recommend every knowledgeable person, when getting tires mounted by an unfamiliar worker, to at least watch.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Sometimes just being there, staring at them, keeps them from taking shortcuts. Like using an impact wrench to tighten your lugnuts.

Reply to
John Ings