Smog Check 2

Hello,

I just had my 1991 Ford Ranger XLT pickup taken to a Smog Check 2 station, and here are the results:

%CO2 %O2 HC (PPM) %CO NO (PPM) Test RPM MEAS MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS

15mph 1944 15.3 0.2 123 34 122 0.75 0.11 0.20 1020 260 758 25mph 1917 15.4 0.1 104 23 55 0.95 0.10 0.09 880 217 437

Ok, now why are the readings at 15mph so much higher than the reading at

25mph? Also, the RPM at 15mph is higher than at 25mph. DMV made me take it to a test only station using a high emitter profile. How can I reduce these readings? Everything passed, but I cannot help but wonder what it is going to be like a couple of years from now.
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

What's the mileage? If it's high, a new O2 sensor may be a good idea, for one thing.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

And somewhere around the time of 02/12/2004 18:48, the world stopped and listened as Robert Hancock contributed the following to humanity:

I'm already working on the O2 sensor, it's the original, and it's a dealer only item. The milage is >200K.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Daniel Rudy wrote in rec.autos.tech

Going to

I found oxygen sensors for every size engine listed for your car. They are not a dealer only item. If you can't find it locally, order it over the internet.

Reply to
Dick C

And somewhere around the time of 02/13/2004 07:17, the world stopped and listened as Mike Behnke contributed the following to humanity:

I tried a couple of places, the sensor itself would bolt in, but the cord is too short. Finally, I just went to a mechanic and he had to get it from the dealer. $140.00. Oh well, it's been replaced, and from what I'm told, it was a real pain in the ass to do. Everything seems to be ok now, as it seems to run better. The mechanic checked the old sensor and said that the heater was bad and the sensor was reacting to changes in O2 levels really slow.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

And somewhere around the time of 02/13/2004 09:12, the world stopped and listened as Dick C contributed the following to humanity:

The work was already done, but thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Daniel Rudy wrote in rec.autos.tech

You're welcome. Used to be that you had to take someone's word that something is only available from a dealer. And it was usually not worth the effort to find the part, and if you could find it, it would take a week or longer to get it. With the internet, and overnight shipping, you can find the part, often times for enough less than your dealer will sell it for, and have it in hand before you could get you car fixed at the dealership.

Reply to
Dick C