Smoke from throttle body

I installed new spark plugs, wires, a distributed cap and rotor on my '91 Geo Metro and also cleaned the engine up a bit with that stuff you spray on and then rinse off after 5 mins. I took the air cleaner assembly off so I could wash the back of the engine better. I covered this area well with plastic before I washed it and I also did this a month ago (not taking off the cleaner assembly though) without any problems. Now it doesn't want to start, the engine turns over a few times and then a pop comes from the throttle body along with a little bit a smoke. The smell is either burnt oil or fuel. I took the air filter out (the disc filter sits directly above the TB) so I could see the puff of smoke pretty clearly. I don't think I missed anything changing the plugs and wires, I reconnected all the little vacuum lines and plugs going to the air box. There's a little oil on the inside of the air box, probably from a defective PCV valve which I also replaced.

I didn't get any water in the dist cap, but the coil may have been sprayed. The coil resistance is good, but I can't find any voltage at it. So the coil isn't getting any juice? Would this cause the problem I described? Also, I'm not getting any engine codes and all the fuses are good.

I'd like to get this thing back on the road, any help would be great.

Reply to
Mark Stewart

Check the plug wire routing carefully. I had a very similar problem when I did my last tune-up and looked everywhere... finally, even though I knew I did them right, I re-rechecked the plug wires and found I had swapped two.

Many years ago I had a problem very similar to what you describe - I had gotten the plug wires in the cap exactly one off (or backwards around, I can't remember) and got smoke, pops, grunts but no running until I pulled it all apart and reattached (carefully following the diagrams in the manual).

I hope this is helpful - PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton