Smokey Chrysler

My 88 Chrysler started to smoke so the head gasket was changed. When the head was off I noticed the #1 cylinder was oily and black. I thought changing the head gasket would cure the problem but still smokes . Could the valve guide/oil seals be the culprit? Thanks ,Don

Reply to
Donald Keeney

Shep

Certainly COULD be. Worn seals are a common cause of smoke, but there are other possibilities also.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Shep asked ;

Sorry . The turbo four cylinder. Don

Reply to
Donald Keeney

What engine? Mitsush*itty 3.0, I'll bet. Valve guides in that case.

Reply to
Steve

If by oily and black you mean hard carbon, then yes it could be the valve guides. Could also be a valve cover leak, PCV malfunction, or worn rings (check dry-wet compression in #1?)

Reply to
Ryan Underwood