Snow Tires

Where have you looked?

google.com

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Depending on size, as low as $38 each and up to $200+.

Iowa883 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Does any mfg. still make snow tires ? I don't need studded ones. Just the deep lugged ones that I used to see. Now all I can find is all season radials. Where can I get them ? Who makes them ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for my 2 wheel drive S-10 pickup. It went through all the snow and ice this year, and I live in Western Pa. Best snow tire I ever had! Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

I think there is a good reason you don't see snow tires anymore.

I have driven over 50 Minnesota winters. Most of this has been on unplowed rural gravel roads. In the old days I used snow tires but now only use all season tires.

I have never been stuck because of snow using all season tires but I have been stuck whither using snow or all season tires because of ice and glaze.

The fact is in winter driving conditions snow is the least problem but ice can be a big problem. If that's the case I think you will find all season tires far superior on ice and glaze than snow tires.

So overall I think you have a better chance of getting through using all season radials rather than a snow tire. Not to mention all the hassle and expense of using a seasonal tire that has to be changed at the end of the season assuming you don't have them mounted on their own permanent rims. Also I think you will find the wear rate very high compared to all season tires and the problem of keeping them balanced is a real hassle.

The only time I see snow tires anymore is on farmer's 4wd pickups. They use them to go out on their fields during the spring thaw when the problem is mud not snow.

A long time rural Minnesota winter driver.

Reply to
none

-snip-

My 30+ driving winters have been in New York snow. I used to use studded snows-- now just all seasons. [last set is Sears Weatherbeaters & I love them- better than the factory Goodrichs on my

2001 Impala & my driving needs]

I think I switched in 1984 when I got my first front wheel drive car. [a Plymouth Reliant wagon- a real tank in snow] It had all seasons on it & I haven't bought a snow tire since.

-snip-

And the all seasons are *far* better on dry roads than snows. While studded tires are the only thing that will really grip on glazed over highways, they are downright dangerous on dry roads at highway speeds.

Where I live, even in the worst of winters, most of my driving in the winter is done on dry roads. The slight advantage snows or studs might add when the weather is bad is made up for by the disadvantages the rest of the time. If most of your driving is on snow covered roads then you might really want/need snows. Buy a spare set of rims and change them yourself each year.

Otherwise stick with a good set of all seasons. They are cheaper, quieter, and probably safer most of the time.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Nokian and Gislaved make some good studded and non-studded snow tires for north European countries. Other snow tires are also available from on-line retailers like

Bovine Unit #243