So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was:Re: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate

Exactly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

So why does the engine have full oil pressure after 5-10 seconds then (and of a fram filter and others. But a tiny difference over many tens of

Faster than my Canton/Mecca filter? Which is rated by the manufacturer to filter down to 8 microns and DOES NOT INCLUDE A BYPASS VALVE? (so I would DAMN sure know if it were plugged?) Does your data show C/Ms?

But the situation that I and several other posters describe sounds NOTHING like a plugged oil filter, and EVERYTHING like an ADBV that doesn't seal properly.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No and I'm surprised you asked. I don't doubt any of the facts you present. You had a fram filter installed. You experienced some oil pressure problems. You changed the filter and the problem went away. You interpret those facts however you like doesn't affect me any. There may even be some validity to your interpretation. For instance, when the filters bypass mechanism is blown open its possible that it might never seal shut properly again so that could allow the oil to drain back. I don't know.

-jim

Reply to
jim

According to my 'mechanical' oil pressure gauge, I didn't have an 'oil pressure problem' at all....

I had a dry engine start up problem causing bad valve train noises on cold starts. This filter did it from new. It was a Fram filter.

My 'engine' has a bypass mechanism, the filter doesn't as far as I know....

Mike

Mike Romain

^^^^^^ Sounds like a defect. Another reason not to use them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Your original story was that it developed after you had a fram filter installed for several months. You said "I was just thinking the engine was getting old and tired..."

Now you say you you noticed it right away. OK I take it back. I don't believe you are telling the truth anymore.

bye bye.

-jim

Reply to
jim

That's not what he said. here's his original post;

Don't see any mention of "several months."

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I see you still can't read eh...

Where did I say that it 'developed'? I said I 'had' an issue.

Here is the part you snipped:

I had an issue recently with a lot of valve train noise upon cold starts and a delay in my 'mechanical' oil pressure gauge before it came up to pressure. I was just thinking the engine was getting old and tired...'

Do you always cut out the important parts to make a false claim about something?

Mike

jim wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

YOU SAID "I change my oil regularly and had only 2 or 3 months on that filter."

You are now saying that it took you 2 or 3 months to realize that there was an immediate connection to the oil pressure problem and installing the fram filter. yeah right.

Your original tale was believable it no longer is.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Are you playing the foole on purpose?

Once again you cut out parts to make a false claim, such as the rest:

Quote:

When I was reading about the fram filters I remembered the one I put on was orange so went and looked at the name. Sure enough, it was a Fram.

End Quote.

That happened to be two or three months after doing the last change...

I am done playing word games with an obvious foole.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

So you are claiming that you know the problem started as soon as you put the filter on but it took you 2 - 3 months to come to that realization.

OK whatever.

Reply to
jim

A crappy filter was the last thing to come to 'my' mind on an 'unknown mileage' 1978 engine in a 1986 vehicle that gets driven hard some days.

I put 3000 miles on it at the start of the summer on one camping trip then changed the oil and noticed the start up noise just after. Hmm, engine is getting tired I think, then I read about the drain back issues with the Fram filter.

Change the filter and bingo, what I thought was a tired engine now sounds great again.

Why is that so hard to believe? I have no connection with any parts sellers.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have no connection to a parts seller either but I can add 2+2. You made no connection between changing the oil and the problem until 3 months later. At that point you are positive there was a connection. That's not rational. 3 months after the fact you suddenly put 2 and 2 together but you couldn't do it at the time. More than likely it was something like a week later that the noise developed and it developed slowly and that's why you never made the connection and thought it was your engine going. I also find it interesting that its the guys with the 20 30 or 40 year old vehicles that are reporting this problem. The hundreds of thousands of fram filters sold to people with new cars don't seem to have this defect. I know... I know... some guys going to now jump in now and say he has 30 brand new cars one of each make and model and it happens to every one of them when he puts on a fram filter. HAHAHSA Usenet.... You gotta love it.

-jim

Reply to
jim

[...]

And yet the problem GOES AWAY when you put a different brand filter on it... yup, it couldn't possibly be that Fram makes a shitty product. That would just be to darn logical and make too much sense.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had this same problem about 5 years ago when I bought my old beater '71 chevy pick-up i use to haul wood and manure and such. When I got it the first thing I did was change oil and I happened to use a fram filter. About a week later I had exactly the same symptoms that Mike described. So I took off the filter and noticed that it felt like it was full of lead. So I went out and bought another fram (well actually i already had one) and put it on and the problem went away. After another couple hundred miles of I changed the oil and filter again. Since then the oil has stayed pretty clean and there have been no reoccurrence. But hey you can believe what ever you want. I don't own any Fram stock it's no skin off my nose.

-jim

Reply to
jim

But, But, But, But, But, you had the problem, changed it to another bad filter because you bought a spare, had the problem within 200 miles again and changed it to a 'good' filter and the problem has gone away.

I just love the fact you don't say what the 'good' filter was that now works or did you suddenly buy the frams in 3 packs....?

At least I was figuring the hard 3000 mile run I just did had worn out something. LOL!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

No, I didn't say I changed the oil after about 200 miles because it happened again. The reason I changed it is because I expected it would probably happen again since the oil on the dipstick was getting very black. Personally, I would rather have the dirt in the filter than in the engine. But there is a limit to how much a filter can hold. When I changed the oil a second time the filter was very heavy again so yeah it probably would have happened again. I have used Fram filters in the truck up until just this fall. The local farm supply store has recently quit selling Fram filters and they now sell a brand called BF which I suspect may be made by fram since the cross reference numbers seemed to match up. I don't think it makes much difference what type of filter and oil you use. Having a lubrication related engine failure or damage due the brand you choose is so unlikely as to be non existent. If your concerned about lubrication related failures you will keep you cooling system in good shape. Modern oils do not hold up well when they are over-heated. They lose much of their lubricating ability when they get cooked and that's when you are likely to see some engine damage.

-jim

Reply to
jim

The filter is heavy because it's full of oil when you remove it. All filters are heavy when you remove them because they are full of oil. The weight of the 'dirt' and the difference in density between 'sludge' and oil is too small to feel.

You'd need a balance that could measure in grams or less to see a difference in filtering abilities.

Reply to
Brent P