Socket size question

I'm going to be acquring some sockets to use with a torque wrench. What socket depth does it take to fit over most lug nuts? Will the average socket work or does it take one of the deep sockets? My car has what looks like reg. size lug nuts under the hubcap, but my van has the common chrome lug nuts on custom wheels. They are both 3/4" hex size. Do I need to get two different socket depths? Thanks.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

Standard sockets will work, but I picked up a cheap set of deep sockets that I have found to be very handy.

I have also bought a few odd metric deep sockets for special applications.

In one case the 'special application' is for use as a freeze plug driver.

Reply to
HLS

I use a deep socket and a short extension so that the torque wrench is pulling at a nice easy 90° angle.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Deep thin wall sockets are handy. Some wheels won't let you use regular sockets.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez