Some details of the 2AZ-FE engine

Clarity of purpose is a good thing. Try it sometime.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think it was Buick. Had an Aluminium engine in something like '62. V8, I think it was 300 ci. I did a brake job on one of those cars once and really liked driving it. So when I gave it back to the girl that owneed it I tried to explain that it was of utmost concern that this car NEVER be over heated. Always check coolant and have a GOOD radiatoer, fan belt, water pump, etc....One year later she was trying to sell it to me because "We think it's only the head gasket". Right. Aluminium warps really good.

disston

Reply to
disston

The engine was 215 cubic inches and had cast iron liners. GM sold the tooling to British Leyland and they continued to produce it for years. I think Ford finally stopped producing it when they bought Land Rover (but according to wikipedia, it is still in production at third party). Oldsmobile sold a turbocharged version. It was sold in various Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac intermediate sized cars (included the Tempest that used a transaxle with IRS).

See

and
Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The 2AZ-FE has a variant 2AZ-FXE for hybrid cars.

By the way, the supercharged 2AZ-FE's found on some of the Scion tC, are there other modifications on the engine or just added the super charger? Would you be able to fit a supercharger on a camry, rav4 or highlander?

Reply to
EdV

Is the 2AZ-FE considered a direct injection engine?

Reply to
EdV

No.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Not sure. I would think that you could given the proper kit.

See

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

=============

The 2AZ-FE is a direct injection engine. It does not use a mechanical distributor, and the engine does use a crankshaft sensor and a camshaft sensor, among other things.

Reply to
Built_Well

"direct injection" typically refers to a very high pressure fuel injection system that injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake runner or a throttle body.

What you are describing is a "distributorless ignition."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hee hee hee. 2AZFE "an advanced powerplant?" that's a good one. Checkout the Audi FSI 2.0T for an advanced design with a flat torque curve from 2000-5000 RPMs.

Reply to
johngdole

Considering that the Vega was an imported design (Opel) It wasn't a bad car. Between my uncles and closer family we owned about 8 of them (and more than a couple Monzas as well). The later Durabilt engines with the steel liners held up pretty well. The front subframe to body plates is the place to look for real rot on them. If it's gone walk away unless the rest of the body is mint.

Reply to
Steve W.

My last Monza had a slightly warm 327 in it... It also had a 120 MPH speedo and could BURY it at will!!!!

I just got rid of my last H body last week. I'll probably regret it. It was an Olds Starfire GT. It started life as a 4 speed 231 V6 car. It left here with a turbocharged 231 from a GNX in it. Still a 4 speed but with a full frame kit. It was a very fun car to drive but I need to clear out some of the toys.

Reply to
Steve W.

Using only half a set of variable valve timing (VVT) saves money.

Some manufacturers use it on the intake side, some on the exhaust side. If VVT is used on the exhaust side then the engine should have NO EGR valve. The timing will allow the exhaust gas to be sucked back into the cylinder. So that's one advantage for exhaust side VVT.

Of course, real luxury car engines would have VVT on both intake and exhaust. Not only that, for instance, accelerator pedals on some newer BMWs use CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE VALVE LIFT to control acceleration! (What throttle valve?) That's another reason why I say Toyota Lexus isn't worth the money unless you like the dolled-up look, which really is fine.

Reply to
johngdole

Very good information. I enjoyed reading it, and you're right that the Camry does not inject fuel into the combustion chamber but into the "antechamber" in the cylinder head that comes just before the valve. That's what the manual's diagram seems to show anyway.

But the 2AZ-FE /is/ a Direct Injection System. Here's a quote from the Camry's service and repair manual on Page EG-57:

"A DIS (Direct Ignition System) has been adopted. The DIS improves the ignition timing accuracy, reduces high-voltage loss, and enhances the overall reliability of the ignition system by eliminating the distributor. The DIS in this engine is an independent ignition system which has one ignition coil (with igniter) for each cylinder."

Also, the book "Auto Upkeep" says, "Some manufacturers call the distributor-less ignition system a direct ignition system."

Maybe there are two sides with an honest difference of opinion? Sorta like how API Group III oils are considered synthetic in the U.S.A., but not in Europe.

However, the book says there are 3 types of ignition systems:

Conventional, Electronic, and Distributor-less.

The web site ProCarCare.com doesn't mention firing into the combustion chamber as a pre-requisite for D.I.S.

Here's a quote:

The Direct Ignition System (DIS) uses either a magnetic crankshaft sensor, camshaft position sensor, or both, to determine crankshaft position and engine speed. This signal is sent to the ignition control module or engine control module which then energizes the appropriate coil.

You obviously know a whole lot more about cars than I do, but the

2AZ-FE does seem to be a Direct Ignition System.

Here's a link to the ProCarCare site with the info:

Britannica Online seems to agree:

direct-ignition system, or distributor-less ignition system (engineering):

description and use:

Many automobile engines now use a distributor-less ignition system, or direct-ignition system, in which a high-voltage pulse is directly applied to coils that sit on top of the spark plugs (known as coil-on-plug). The major components of these systems are a coil pack, an ignition module, a crankshaft reluctor ring, a magnetic sensor, and an electronic control module.

From Wikipedia's entry on Ignition System:

Other systems dispense with the distributor and coil and use special spark plugs which each contain their own coil (Direct Ignition). This means high voltages are not routed all over the engine, but are instead created at the point at which they are needed. Such designs offer potentially much greater reliability than conventional arrangements.

A site devoted to the Honda Insight says this:

The Insight engine employs a direct ignition system similar to those used on the Honda S2000 and the 1999 Odyssey. Separate ignition coils for each cylinder are located directly above the spark plugs.

Reply to
Built_Well

====================

Your original post said "direct INJECTION" not "direct IGNITION." I've never heard of a distributorless ignition called a "direct ignition" although I guess it kind of makes sense for a coil-on-plug type setup. Now direct INJECTION refers to something completely different, as I described in my post. Generally used on Diesel engines although I have heard that some mfgrs. have or will introduce it on gas engines as well.

nate

Reply to
N8N

So its like a turbo charger? how is the pressure of the fuel increased? and the pressure is increased when the liquid fuel is already in vapor stage right? Isn't it necessary to cool down the temperature of the high pressure vapor fuel before directly injecting them into the combustion chamber.. like the purpose of an intercooler for a turbo system. thanks!

Reply to
EdV

IIRC, The flat torque is because of the CVT transmission design and not the engine. I could be wrong. .

Reply to
EdV

Nope.

Straight out of the fuel pump.

No, Liquid fuel gets injected directly into the cylinder. Unlike the common port injection systems where the fuel gets injected into the intake runner just behind the intake valve.

No vapor injected on any modern fuel injection system. Even the turbocharged systems only cool the air after it goes through the turbo. None of them inject fuel until it hits the intake runner.

like the purpose of an intercooler for a turbo system. thanks!

The intercooler only cools the air itself. Nothing more.

Reply to
Steve W.

advanced powerplant?" that's a good one.

The old 1.8T had an essentially flat torque curve over the same rev range and was only available with conventional transmissions. I wasn't aware that Audi had a CVT yet, although I have missed stuff before. I thought their new high end transmission was the dual-clutch deal?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Think Diesel engine. Bigass mechanical pump driven by the engine. No, it doesn't pressurize the intake air, but the fuel has to be pressurized to significantly more than the normal 50-100 PSI because it's being sprayed into the compressed air in the chamber rather than into the intake, where it's spraying into air that's at atmospheric (or less, under part throttle - or slightly more, in a turbo/ supercharged engine on boost) pressure.

nate

Reply to
N8N