Something else we used to work on...

My '85 Hachiroku is returning to it's elemental form, as is my '89 S00B. The '89 Mazda came from Florida and got oiled very shortly after it arrived in New England. ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

"Some other things"? The floor, headliner, rear glass....

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Actually, it was a Buick car he rigged up with a pedal drive.I don't know why I thought it was an Oldsmobile. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

i keep telling you dude, move to kalifornistan. no rust out here. want a rust-free karmann ghia? want a 1960's datsun roadster? they're all here!

Reply to
jim beam

I've had (and still have) cars from the 1970s that have run up well over 100,000 miles with no need for an overhaul. Most domestic iron holds up well as long as you maintain it.

The concept of "diminishing returns" seems to elude them.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Yeah, I know. The way I cared for my Corolla GTS, if I lived in CA or AZ it would still look new...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I hear the new variable displacement V-8's from Dodge work good Roughly the same size and weight but more frontal area. I'd say the premise worked out pretty well. Ben

Reply to
ben91932

.org:

If I were to compare any engine program with the Titanic, it would be the early Olds diesel.

I worked on a bunch of these Caddies in the '80s. Several had the system disabled, but the majority were intact and working fine. The shuddering and surging I dealt with were mostly fixed by covering the basics, proper timing, fuel mixture vacuum leaks etc.

I disagree. As was mentioned, when in proper working order, they worked great, and from my experience most problems were easuily cured with basic maintenance.

Definitely! Someone had to be first, and most new technologies have teething problems. Ben

Reply to
ben91932

I think it was a 1974 Cadillac that Cadillac company rigged up to run on coal dust.Coal dust that was ground to the consistency of baby powder. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin