Sooty/smelly diesel exhaust

I've noticed that my 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi has started to accumulate a lot of soot around the exhaust pipe (more than there ever used to be) and the exhaust has an aromatic smell, especially if the engine hasn't got up to full temperature.

The car is 9 years old and has done 130,000 miles.

- The fuel economy is still as good as ever (about 50 mpg UK)

- The performance still feels good (though maybe I wouldn;t notice if it very gradually got worse over the years!)

- The car passed an emissions test a few weeks ago as part of the annual MOT test required for all vehicles in the UK once they reach 3 years old.

- As far as I am aware, the car isn't producing black smoke on acceleration (I can't see any in my rear-view mirror) though it's difficult to be certain without being able to travel in a car behind mine!

Is it something I should worry about or is it to be expected for a car of this age and mileage?

Reply to
Mortimer

It is indeed getting older. Could be from less than optimal compression or injectors in need of a rebuild. If the MPG isn't suffering much I would not fix it.

Reply to
John S.

It is indeed getting older. Could be from less than optimal compression or injectors in need of a rebuild. If the MPG isn't suffering much I would not fix it.

====

OK. Is it worth using a diesel additive (eg RedEx or equivalent) every so often to help clean the injectors?

Reply to
Mortimer

I think so, especially if you live in a cold country. Diesel can vary a lot from winter to summer, ice crystals can be a bummer, and the diesel itself can wax out if you get caught in the crossover. This is in addition to fouling of the injectors. Doesnt hurt a thing to use a high quality additive under such conditions.

Just my personal feelings, of course.

Wish Peugeot and Renault were available here in the USA. They have some good cars, although their names are smudged by their rather sleazy past history here.

Reply to
HLS