spare tire carrier problem

I have a 2000 Olds Bravada. The saddle bracket that is connected to the end of the spare tire "crane" cable that holds up the spare rotted off. There is only a small piece remaining that looks like it was clamped on the cable. GM says I need a new crane at 168.00. I hear that this is a very common problem. I don't feel comfortable trying to weld anything to the small stub or the cable. Is there an after market repair for this? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper