Spare tire removal

2000 Chevy Silverado. Bought used in 2003.

Need to remove spare (looks brand new) for the first time in order to drill a hole (5th wheel mount) in the bed. The removal tool, inserted into a hole in the rear bumper, is guided by a tube to its destination. However it never seems to catch on anything and turning doesn't lower the tire.

Took it to my Chevy dealership tire/accessory center (not the service center) and they said "sure, we do it all the time and we'll show you how". Well they were just as puzzled. Couldn't get the tire down.

My choices seem to be get underneath and cut the cable on the hoist assembly. I was told that doing so would mean I would have to buy a complete hoist, as they come as an assembly. Pricy, I am told.

I have already let the air out of the tire to remove some pressure on the cable assembly. I let the weight of the truck down on blocks of wood under the spare hoping to develop some slack in the cable. All to no avail. I am able to reach up and above the tire to get at the single nut/bolt that is holding the hoist, however, I can only access the nut (18mm) that is welded to the frame.

Anybody previously face this issue? Any comments on how to proceed? They made this pretty theft proof. Can't get at the cable with bolt cutters. Only way is to get out the cutoff wheel on my grinder and cut the visible hoist-bar in half.

Thanks for all comments. Even for the one that is going to say "Should have bought a Ford".

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Since the "tool" never catches on anything do you have the correct "tool" to engage the lifting mechanism?

If the answer is yes, then I would take it to the service department and have them figure it out. The mechanism made need lubrication. After this is all over you may want to get the tire re-mounted on a swing-away at the rear of the truck. Looks a bit strange I know, but far easier to access.

Reply to
John S.

If you can rotate the handle easily and the tire doesn't move you will need a new hoist assy. The end that engages the handle is nothing more than a crimped piece of tubing. The other end is attached to a worm that turns a gear with the pulley sheave that the hoist cable winds on/off. The entire thing is inside a housing. From your description it sounds like the worm has either broken free of the drive extension OR the end that engages the handle has been wallowed out so the handle doesn't lock in.

You might try inserting the handle and giving it a sharp hit on the end with a hammer and see if the worm frees up enough to let it work.

New they are expensive BUT since GM used the same unit on a LOT of trucks the salvage yards have tons of them on wrecked trucks. prices run between 25-75 bucks or so, depending on location.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, now that you took all the fun out of it...

Reply to
clifto

If you had had a flat tire, you would have been really stuck.Like someone else suggested, get a swing away thingy and when you do remove the spare wheel/tire, mount it on there.I think some of those swing aways are made so that you can pad lock the wheel/tire on there.Many years ago, some cars and trucks didn't come from the factories with tires mounted on the spare wheels. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There was a "TSB" that dealt with this issue and a few years after that GMC sent letters to all owners about this problem. GM's original solution was to deflate the spare ( this works, but is not a good option for anyone stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire), a couple of years later they sent a letter to all registered owners offering a flexible extension to lower the spare. If the dealer you are using doesn't know about this tell them to read there TSB's, then find a dealer that does.

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

That's why the spare bounces around in the bed of my truck I guess... the assembly is long since rusted into nothingness.

At least you weren't trying to do this on the side of the highway...

Ray

Reply to
ray