Spark plug boot arced through but looked OK

How does insulation break down when it seems to be perfect?

I have a silicone rubber spark plug boot, 4mm thick, that emitted a

0.5" arc to ground, yet it didn't seem to have any tears, cuts, voids, or carbon tracks (arc occurred 0.75" from end). According to:

the boot should have been able to take roughly 48,000V, and the minimum voltage for a 0.5" arc through air isn't that much outside this range.

I've never had a boot arc through before without visible damage or carbon tracking. The brand of plug wire is Prestolite, 56,000 miles.

Reply to
jamarno

What magnification did you use on your microscope to inspect the boot?

If the spark did indeed travel through the boot, that is prima facie evidence of either a hole in the boot or a breakdown in the material properties. I bet it is a very small hole.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Sounds to me like it had a manufacturing defect that was just too small to see.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Brown

miles.

boot?

I used a 20X rock inspection microscope.

I tried an old silicone boot in its place and couldn't get any arcing, even though it's a thinner boot and has a few small tears on it (ran a grounded wire around it to create arcs - none). This was an orange boot, so I wonder if the original black boot had an area with an unusually high concentration of carbon black in it.

Reply to
jamarno

This was an orange

A spark plug boot better not have ANY carbon black in it!

Reply to
Steve