Spark Plug Replacement on `99 TA

I just finished my first tune up on my TA. My arms look like minced meat. I was thinking that life was grand after finishing the L side fairly quickly. But then the R side.....

Does anyone know if there are any secrets to replacing the plugs on that side? I didn't have too much trouble on the first 3. Then the last one to the rear of the motor took it's fair share of skin and blood.

It's all done now. I put in the Bosch platinum 2s. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
unix-freak

Dunno about your particular car, but I have your same engine in an s-10 Blazer. To gain access to SEVERAL plugs, it's much easier to remove the tire and go underneath the fender well. HTH & good luck....sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

|> Does anyone know if there are any secrets to replacing the plugs on |> that side? |> I didn't have too much trouble on the first 3. Then the last one to |> the rear of the motor took it's fair share of skin and blood. |>

|> It's all done now. I put in the Bosch platinum 2s. |> Any advice would be appreciated. | Dunno about your particular car, but I have your same engine in an s-10 |Blazer. To gain access to SEVERAL plugs, it's much easier to remove the |tire and go underneath the fender well. HTH & good luck....sdlomi | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Wow!

In my case, I removed the first coil and the exhaust flange connection on the L side. That gave me fairly good access to the front 2 plugs. Hind site and a bit of research revealed that the rear 2 coils should be removed from the valve cover bracket for top end access to those plugs.

Life would have been much easier if the Pontiac engineers would have had the coil bracket mounted my bolts towards the front and slotted at the rear. That way one could simply take out a couple of bolts, undo a connector and slide the 4 coils right out.

There is NO access through the fender well as the metal is welded preventing access to the engine. :(

Reply to
unix-freak

That's the whole problem- no Pontiac engineers got near that engine. Its a Chevrolet. :-p

Reply to
Steve

|unix-freak wrote: | | |> Life would have been much easier if the Pontiac engineers would have |> had the coil bracket mounted my bolts towards the front and slotted at |> the rear. | |That's the whole problem- no Pontiac engineers got near that engine. Its |a Chevrolet. :-p

Yeah, well just to show there's nothing new under the sun, try to find a 1967 Firebird with a v8 and A/C and try changing those last 2 plugs on the right bank!

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

No thanks, but I *can* tell you which 5 sparkplugs the service manual says to access from above and the 3 it recommends accessing from below on my '69 Dodge with a 440... :-/

The manual doesn't say the access is "good" either from above or below, but at least its possible.

Reply to
Steve