Spark plug wires.

I want to install new spark plug wires and ignition coil on my 1983 Dodge v an, 318 engine. Can anybody reccomend a good brand name (made in America) o f wires that is not too expensive, perhaps in the 40 dollars price range? A lso, I think I saw on Youtube something about an electronic tester device f or testing spark plugs that doesn't require removing the spark plugs. Thank s for any info.

Reply to
JR

van, 318 engine. Can anybody reccomend a good brand name (made in America) of wires that is not too expensive, perhaps in the 40 dollars price range? Also, I think I saw on Youtube something about an electronic tester device for testing spark plugs that doesn't require removing the spark plugs. Tha nks for any info.

I've had good luck with Taylor in the past but I don't know if they are sti ll made in USA or not. Web site does not say.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Some of the NAPA house brand ones are made by Belden and are excellent and not expensive.

If your original cables have lasted 30 years, though... it's hard to complain about that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Do spark plug testers work when the plug is firing at least semi-OK? I had a plug wire short to ground occasionally, but the plug still fired well enough to stay as clean as the others. The old water mist test found the bad wire, and where it was arcing, the insulation looked perfectly good on the outside, but when I sliced it open I found a carbon bubble inside.

I don't remember the plugs in my Dodge Dart 318 or my father's Dodge full size van (318 or 360 engine) being too hard to change. IOW if I can do it, anybody can.

I found that if you buy plugs not listed in the owner's manual, they should be matched to the vehicle, not the plugs because some cross references are wrong, in my case the Denso substitutes for my Champions were too cold, and the Denso catalog listed a different plug for my vehicle. Some plug wires don't have only silicone rubber insulation but use latex for the core.

Reply to
larrymoencurly