Speed limiter on Suzuki Aerio?

OK, my vehicle is a Mitsu. Galant which came factory equipped with H speed rated tires. I haven't always used H rated tires. What's the point? The car will only do a maximum of 112MPH anyway. (don't ask me how I know this . . . tee hee) So basically ANY tire sold today should be appropriate . . . even S rated.

My wife has a Suzuki Aerio SX which she babies. Oh, sometimes she goes a little wild, but she's typically 80MPH or under. She recently discovered that one of her tires has a bulge in the sidewall. The tires have about

20,000 miles on them, so this will require a purchase of at least 2 tires. The first store she called quoted her two hundred bucks A PIECE. These were for original equipment VR rated tires. I looked it up and VR is 149MPH (sometimes more, depending on the manufacture).

Give me a frickin' break!!! I'm not going to spend eight hundred bucks on a set of tires rated for ~150MPH for a compact four-banger, even if it is zippy for a four-banger. I was going to purchase a set of performance-oriented T rated tires from Tire Rack, but I KNOW that whoever I ask to mount them will give me a headache about the tires being NOT VR rated.

So can someone tell me if the Suzuki has a speed limiter, and where it is set? I figure if I can tell the mechanic that the vehicle simply won't GO faster than the T rated tires are rated for, that should pretty much solve the problem of the mechanic arguing that he can't mount the tires for safety reasons. -Dave

On hotmail dot com, I am user "junknothankyou"

Reply to
Dave C.

Well, there's your trouble. You already know stuff.

Your wifes car already has a speed limiter, and it sounds like she does a good job.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Well yes, she does do a good job, but that's none of your frick . . .

Oh never mind. :)

I asked because I've had the same headache in the past buying T rated tires for my (OE H rated) Galant. I don't think it's a convincing argument to say my wife usually drives 80MPH or less. It's more convincing if the vehicle is mechanically incapable of out-driving T rated tires, which I suspect it probably is. But I'm obviously not going to test my theory with a damaged tire on that vehicle. Otherwise, I might just take it out on the interstate and FLOOR IT to see when the engine starts retarding timing. (but officer, I needed to find out where the speed limiter is set so I could buy new tires . . . REALLY! Dontcha believe me?!?) But a tire failure at 100+ is not something I'd actively try to make happen. Though I've experienced that before, there's no point in ASKING for trouble. :) -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Don't be ridiculous. This is a simple sales ploy to try to get the customer to upgrade to higher priced tires. If you are knowledgeable as you say you are just tell the salesguy No Problem, I'll leave, and they are gonna back off. If you get a particularly idiotic one that keeps insisting, you can always tell him that if he doesn't drop the BS your going to write his corporate office and tell them that their salesguy is telling purchasers that they should break the law by driving their vehicles over the posted speed limit.

It should be obvious to anyone that especially after the Exploding Firestone Tire debacle for Ford Explorers that all consumer passenger car tires even the ones that have the lowest speed rating there is, are tremendously derated. The tire companies cannot afford the liability that would arise if some dumbshit had a blowout and got himself killed going 100Mph on a public highway on standard tires that are properly inflated. ALL current tires even the cheapest there are, can do 100Mph on a standard passenger car all day long. You do still have to watch tire ratings for excessively heavy vehicles like trucks and such, but passenger car tire ratings today are purely marketing baloney designed to get people to spend $200 a tire for tires that are no safer at high speeds than $50 tires.

Now, the one thing that you do have to watch is that the more expensive tires often have better grip on ice/wet whatever, and also they run quieter as the best tread patterns are all patented.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt