Speed sensor location

I'm trying to install an after-market cruise control system (Audiovox CCS-100) on a 1995 Toyota Tercel.

I subscribe to Alldata for the car. Trying to find out what this car has available for speed sensors. In the location diagrams I find individual speed sensors for all four wheels. Can the cruise control unit take its signal from one of these sensors? Shouldn't there be a sensor that drives the speedometer? Can't find it anywhere in the diagrams.

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

There should be a vehicle speed output signal from the PCM, it's usually based on a signal from a sensor in the transmission.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in news:qLwJl.3238$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Those are ABS sensors; can't use them with your cruise.

According to my factory manual for the '99 Tercel, the VSS is inside the instrument cluster that houses the speedometer. This car has a cable-driven speedometer.

Reply to
Tegger

The speed sensor is located in the instrument cluster, and should have a feedback loop to the ECM. Try to locate a Factory Service manual on-line, or go to the Toyota dealer and ask the Service Manager if yu can pick his brain.

In the good old days, they'd be able to tell you .These days...

Also, if you can get through the political bull, post in alt.autos.toyota. THere's a former factory rep there.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B