Sputters & Dies But Love Too Much To Sell...

Hello There,

This is probably an easy question to answer, but being not all that mechanical, I have a problem that might need a more expert answer. I have a 94 GT 5-Speed manual with a little over 156,000, in good to excellent condition, plus amazingly well-preserved (virtually no rust) for never being garage kept in a heavily snowy region during winter. Needless to say, I love this car.

Having another primary car now, the Probe has been off the street for over 2 years. It?s rarely driven, but with stabilized gas in the tank, I run the engine on a regular basis to keep it active. The battery doesn't really have any juice left to crank the engine up on its own, but with a jump, the motor fires right up.

Here?s the problem. Upon initial start up the engine idles fine. But after warming up, and my first rev of the gas pedal, the engine sputters and usually dies unless I can manually pump pedal to keep the idle higher than normal. The car can drive, but again, I have to manually keep the idle high (at least at 2,000 rpms) to ensure it won?t sputter down and die. Needless to say, driving on the street gets pretty tricky.

I replaced the battery last fall, but even with a new one, I get the same sputtering after the engine warms up. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Could this be the alternator? Or is it something more complicated? Thanks in advance for the comments.

Reply to
ShempBob

This could be anything, but I'd first think about a fuel system problem and secondly I'd look for a vacuum leak.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Possible rats in the MAF or torn MAF.

Reply to
Paul

Possibly it is a 1994 Ford Probe GT?

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

ShempBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Yes you did. I caught it. Somebody else effing didn't.

Reply to
Tegger

Perhaps a bad engine temp sensor. It starts and idles fine when cold, but doesn't run well when warmed up because .... it still thinks its cold.

Almost certainly something to do with the fuel system or something that controls the mixture.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

ShempBob wrote: (1994 Probe GT Manual Trans 156k Miles) It's been parked for over 2 years, with stabilized gas in the tank, occasionally started to keep the battery charged. When started, it idles fine, but after it warms up it will sputter and die unless I keep the idle over 2,000 rpm. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? ______________________________________________________________________

Sounds like a balky Idle Air Controller.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Reply to
Tony P.

Try cleaning the idle air control valve. That's probably the best place to start. It sounds as if it works fine cold and then when warm sticks closed, although you should be able to hold it under 2000 rpm, but that could be because of some hand off in how air is metered in the control system. Just a little throttle body cleaner and couple of screws to remove the IAC.

Reply to
Brent

I know you used a fuel stabilizer but I'd try some fresh fuel too. Stabil doesn't your fuel last forever.. do you hear any pinging in the motor??

Reply to
m6onz5a

I know you used a fuel stabilizer but I'd try some fresh fuel too. Stabil doesn't your fuel last forever.. do you hear any pinging in the motor??

Reply to
m6onz5a

doh I can't type lol

Reply to
m6onz5a

Hi,

No pinging occurs (at least that I can hear). Like I said, engine pretty much fires right up with a jump and purrs like a kitten...that is until the first goose of the gas. Then it waivers on flatlining unless I can ride the rpms. Sometimes I can get it back to a just- under-1000-rpm idle, but that's pretty inconsistent. Thanks about the Stabil thought. I probably should replenish the tank. At present it's about a quarter down.

Reply to
ShempBob