Stalling Polo

Hello to the car orables.

I have a '96 Polo 1.4L, which keeps stalling when going from third to second. It idles fine and doesn't stall in any other conditions, just when I'm driving and going down a gear, just from 3rd-2nd. If I drive in 3rd for as long as possible, and then slip it into neutral to bring the revs down and then into 2rd, it is fine. What do you think could be the problem, and would it be terribly costly?

Many thanks

Reply to
emilypitcher

Congratulations!

Very seldom do I see a problem that absolutely nothing jumps to mind about as a cause.

Is this when you downshift to accellerate in second, or as you are just engine braking to slow the car?

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Thanks for your reply.

It happens mostly when I'm in slow traffic, or approaching roundabouts or such. I haven't tried bringing the revs up as I change, because you just don't think about it until it's conked out. Slipping into neutral, and the gentler steadying of revs seems ok. I'm completely baffled by it! Even if I go to accelerate in second it stalls as soon as I come out of third and down to second rev and speed.

I'd be really grateful for any pointers!

Reply to
emilypitcher