Starter broke?

My niece has a Ford Escape 1996. I was with her today. When she tried to start the car it made a noise. She turned the switch off and then tried again and it started. This also happened once before when I was with her. I will ask her how often this happens, but I am guessing it happens frequently.

Is there a chance that the trouble could be something other than replacing the starter?

Reply to
metspitzer

Starter or solenoid are the two most likely causes.

Reply to
HLS

"metspitzer" wrote: ( 1996 Ford Escape )

When I tried to start the car it made a noise. I turned the switch off and tried again and it started. This happened once before. Could the trouble be a bad starter? ____________________________________________

It could be a lot of things, but it is probably just corroded connections at the battery terminals. Before spending any money, try this:

1.) Take the battery cables off (NEG terminal first). 2.) Clean the corrosion from the battery terminals and the cable ends with a wire brush or a file. 3.) Reconnect the battery cables (POS terminal first).

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

No. The grease in the solenoid is dirty and acts like glue. Eventually it won't engage at all, it will just click and won't start. Save a tow and replace the starter.

Reply to
Jon G.

Yes. I have found a lot of times that the battery connection are not clean and tight corrosion can be a problem you can have the starter system check for free at most autozones if you have 1 in the area

Reply to
Dave

"Jon G." wrote in news:FKWdndOJc74U5pvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

THANK YOU FOR THE MOST ASSININE UNEDUCATED REPLY I HAVE EVER READ IN THESE NEWSGROUPS! HATS OFF! I DONT THINK ANYONE WILL TOP YOU!

Reply to
bill