Starter/Ignition Question for 1998 Ford Expedition

Please explain to me what delays the starter gear from turning until it is meshed with the flywheel teeth. Is it the relay that delays the rotation or solenoid that trips a switch once engaged/meshed? My starter will sometimes grind as if it is attempting to turn before it gets meshed with the flywheel gear teeth. Thanks!!

Reply to
Fxdcon1

The starter solenoid contacts are actuated by the same mechanism that engages the starter pinion towards the flywheel. Therefore the starter should not rotate until the pinion is engaged. It could be that some part of the starter drive mechanism is sticking..

Reply to
Robert Hancock