Starter motor trouble (Citroen AX)

I'm having trouble with a starter motor on a Citroen AX (1.4 diesel). I've read through the archives for this group and found a lot of useful information on what to look for, but the problem remains unfixed.

The starting problem is intermittent. Sometimes, I turn the ignition key, hear a click noise, but nothing else. No mechanical noise, and nothing seem to move or turn.

If I rock the car a little in gear, the car will start no problem.

About a month ago, a new solenoid was fitted and brushes replaced.

Today, I had a look at obvious things : I checked the conditions of the battery terminals, ground connection from battery to car. I pulled the manifold from above the exhaust, tried to pull the exhaust back (to get at the starter) but could not pull one of the engine mounting studs.

There are supposed to be three nuts holding the starter motor in place, there were only two. One of these was completely loose, so I tightened that as I thought any movement on the starter motor itself may be causing some mechanical resistance.

As I say, the solenoid was replaced and the cable contacts attached to the solenoid unit look clean and tight (all very unscientific, yes).

So here's a summary of where I'm stuck :

  • Is it possible to test the starter motor in situ ?
  • If it is, how ?
  • If not, any ideas how to remove the stud bolt from the engine mounting (so that I can pull the exhaust, and remove the starter).

I'm running out of hills to park my car on.

Well, thanks for any guidance.

s.

Reply to
simon

It sounds to me as though it's operating to design spec -- Remember, it's French.

That said,

Yes...that's not agood sign...

You may want to have a closer look at the battery cables. If they are internally broken, they can come to rest with enough strands touching to conduct sufficient power to the starter motor...or not, at random.

Or the motor itself could have a dead segment in the armature, in which case the entire starter motor should be rebuilt or an exchange unit fitted.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Check to see if it has a start relay to apply power to the solenoid...

Reply to
Qwack

[...]

I gave up and bought a reconditioned unit, 80 UK POUNDS, 12 months warranty. Exchanged the old unit. Put it in tommorrow. It was 35 UK POUNDS from a scrapyard, but I didn't want to chance it.

Umm... this seems easy with the wisdom of hindsight. The answer is : screw one nut on, and then another on top and tight against the lower nut. Turn lower nut against the upper nut to unscrew the stud.

Voila !

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
simon