Starter refuses spinning flywheel 360 degrees - low battery.

Almost cannot start car everytime. Every crank would stop (stuck) at a tight compression stroke. Another words, this car has a pretty high compression and the starter spins just to stop short of a full cycle. Err...rrrr...rr-gulf! okay, turn off key, try again. Err...err...varoom!

But I have two low batteries. Can I use two weak car battery, hook it up to make 24vdc and power the starter just enough to start when the start just won't go? What would happen to the starter?

Reasons for asking: After replacing the alternator from a salvage yard my headlight is kinda dim. When I hit the gas, the headlights gets brighter. Is the charger making my battery too weak to start? This 2 yrs old battery works great on other cars. Lonbro

89 hond accord
Reply to
Lonbro Lorell

The battery you are using is too weak for the car. Older high compression engines need higher amperage batteries than a four cylinder engine. In other words you can't take a battery from a four cylinder car and use in a high compression V8.

Reply to
BillW

He's got an 89' Honda for Pete's sake. How much compression would that have? Tell us what you have it it's so hot. I agree, you need a decent battery and recheck the alternator. In the old days, 80' and before, many dealers in cold weather areas would hook up two 12v batteries in series to start cars on the lot. If it was done very carefully they could get away with it. They were charging burned starters to Ford Motor Company anyway under warranty so what did they care? Actually, the attrition rate on starters was not too bad. Today, even on an 89', you would do severe damage to the electrical system far outweighing any potential benefit. You'd be better to hook two 12V batteries in parallel so the system had capacity and it should start fine. One good battery will do it.

Reply to
MaxAluminum