Starter woes for 97 Mazda MPV

I've scoured google groups (honest) but haven't run into the same exact situation. This morning my Ma's 1997 Mazda MPV (All sport 2wd) makes a god awful *screeee* on start up and I come running out and after a minute come to the conclusion that it's the starter not disengaging

The symptoms are:

- God awful metal-on-metal sound in Park and Neutral

- When the car (auto tranny) is in park or neutral, it starts the second you move to the 'on' keyswitch position (normally you have to turn the key to the final ignition position).

- If you quickly shift to reverse or any drive gear, the sound goes away, but returns instantly if you return to park or neutral.

So I pulled the starter, *completely* disasembled it, and meticulously cleaned and regreased everything.

Unfortunately the sound has not gone. I wouldn't risk anyone driving the car with this problem, but I'm just about out of ideas. Must I throw in the towel and buy a new starter?

thanks very much

Reply to
MikeDeuce

Thanks for the reply, Robert.

It appears your suspicions are correct. I noticed today that the car makes the "key in ignition lock cylinder" warning beep even when the key is out of the cylinder.

Now I'm experiencing difficulties in removing the lock cylinder. I understand the basics, though with the key in the 'on' position, I still cannot locate any holes that lead to release mechanisms. Oh well, I can't afford to pay anyone to fix this, but I can afford a Chiltons for the car.

thanks again!

Reply to
MikeDeuce